Should a Hull flex?

legacycycles

Seaman
Heres the deal. Ive gotten ahold of a 93 20ft vivion bass boat with a 115zuk. Anyway i knew the boat need some work etc.. So i was under the boat and checking out the trailer and hull and noticed when i push up on the hull its flexing. My question is should it flex and if so how far. The keel seems very solid with no movement at all,but in between the keel and the side of the boat is where the flexing is occuring on both sides. Appoximatley under the seats.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Should a Hull flex?

yes it should....but only to a point.....

fiberglass is very strong...it cam flex HUGE amounts before catistrophic failure.

if there is no exterior scarring on the gellcoat in that area, you are fine.
if the gellcoat is whacked in that area...and sound all around the area......well then ...you have a problem.

on a side note.....the hull in one of my modern boats was so thin that i could actually feel the gentle lapping of wave rillpe theu the hull on my legs whole sitting in the drivers seat and not in motion.

legacycycles

Seaman

I figured it was ok,especially being that both sides flex but its allways nice to have another opinion. The gel coat is fine in that area it just seemed to move a little more than normal,but after looking a bit more i think its fine. I was hoping i didnt have a bad stringer but after looking there isnt one in that area so it should be fine. Thanks for the reply.

Friscoboater

Captain

Mine has flex over large spans. Now if your boat flexes under acceleration load, that might be an issue.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Just me here... but..

Im a No Flex ( or minimal flex ) kinda guy.

Under my butt flexing..erm..no go :) .

Your bottom should not flex too much .. IMO..

YD.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Flex isn't good, but its not necessarily bad either.

Frequently thin weak cores are added to areas not because the laminate is weak, but to stiffen it so people have the perception its stronger.

legacycycles

Seaman

Its defintley scarry thinking about it,but i do belive its ok. However if i decide to keep the boat i will defintley dig deeper. But right now im gonna put it in the water when i get the OB straightned out and run er a bit.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

There you go have fun and play with it some.

By the way the uncored parts of my hull flex some when you push on it. I was concerned until I started walking around pushing on boats and figured out that most of them flex some.