1961 crestliner falcon...repaint job

ceasarea

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mine is a 1961 delux model....The original colour was snoshoe white and flamingo red.....which is a orangy red which i dont care for ...I prefer to keep the snoshoe white and have a more vibrant red....I wonder if thats a mistake?Should i keep it original or adjust the paint colour...I have the original seats and interior...all in good shape. Also the existing paint is in decent but fadad shape with a few spots down to the bare aluminum from fading on the top sids. Could i simply buy a paint spay electric gun at home depot for $100 and light sand , prime and paint it?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1961 crestliner falcon...repaint job

There are VERY few "collectible" or whatever you want to call them...boats whose value may appreciate. It is doubtful you have one of those. So paint it whatever color you want!

And bare aluminum needs to be hit lightly with etching primer. I was able to find Duplicolor's etching primer at Pep Boys for around $5 in a rattle can. Again, you only need a dusting of the stuff. I would then roll on some Rustoleum primer and then Rustoleum top coat with a foam roller.

ceasarea

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I assume you you get a smooth finish with the foam roller.....meaning no air bubbles ect?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If you get air bubbles, you can use the "roll and tip" method by which you go back lightly with a brush and knock down the bubbles. However, many of us have had good luck with the roll and roll method. On mine, after applying the paint and evening it out, I would just roll over it quickly. It seemed fast enough to pop the bubbles but not pick up new ones.

This was rolled http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2281.jpg

ceasarea

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All i can say is wow.....what brand of paint did you use....and how much did it take. ( i am in Canada) Also i have the 1960 swooped paint job along the side and will need to mask it....How would you mask the swoop part...I am planning on removing the windshield and all trim/ decals and then flipping it over in the garage and really take some time to get it as good as i can.I assume you sand between coats...what type or size of sand paper would you recommend.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well sadly you don't really want to talk to me about much other than application. That beautiful paint job is now an utter mess. I used Petit Easypoxy. I did not prime as I read that if the existing paint job was in good physical condition (no cracking or flaking) I could just thoroughly scuff it up and paint over it. Well my paint is now falling off my boat's bottom in huge patches. The blue sides are also scratched to heck because the paint is soft. I don't recommend it. Others on here have used it with success though I'm still awaiting their durability reports.

I painted my previous boat with Rustoleum. Now I used rattle cans for that which I definitely don't recommend as the overspray pretty well killed my finish....but it's durability was great. This is about 3 or 4 years old with not being babied at ALL. You can see some light nicks and stuff but nothing major http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/Boat Project/DSCF1924.jpg A bunch of us have used Rustoleum with success. Heck CheapboatKev launched his Rusto-painted boat off the trailer and into a field in a trailering mishap with nary a scratch!

ceasarea

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I still like the blue colour...but i hear you....I guess the rustoleum will be my choice....i hope i can do the roll on roll thing though. Would you use the enamel or the gloss finish ?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I went with Easypoxy specifically for that blue color :(

ceasarea

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for your help....Still not sure about enamel satin or gloss though. Gee life is tough.lol