Hitting the ocean in Vancouver BC

Beezerchris

Seaman Apprentice
I'm fairly new to the west coast of Canada and the wide open seas. This January I'm going to be taking a Power Squadron class to upgrade my skills and get my radio license. Best to learn about tides and stuff now me thinks.

Anyway - for those of you with more time under your belts out on the big chuck - what do you think of taking a 16 foot Super Sport out into the big water? My area is sheltered by Vancouver Island and I can head off a lot of places (Indian Arm, Desolation Sound, along the Georgia Straight) and stay closer to shore.

With an eye on the weather and using common sense is this even a sane idea? I see boats that size out there but that doesn't mean it's not crazy.

I know I'm going to venture up the Fraser and find myself at the mouth soon enough. Maybe I'll be limited more by my three five gallon tanks and finding places to refuel!

Any advice?

el toro

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Hitting the ocean in Vancouver BC

I've done plenty of boating in my 17 footer on The Strait but it has a lot higher freeboard than the SS. I also got an SS this year but have yet to take it out on the ocean. Still there's no reason why you can't head out on a nice calm day. The thing you NEED to know is what is the wind doing. I always check the marine forecast for what the wind is doing in the morning as well as what it will do by the afternoon. Anything over about 10-15 knots and you can count on some chop which would probably be uncomfortable in the Starcraft. And you also have to be aware of the occasional huge wake from a ferry, tug or tanker but you should be able to negotiate it. The power squadron course is a good idea, it will cover all this stuff.

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

X2 on what el toro said. Pick your days. Go with a buddy boat to learn the ropes. I use this website to get wind perditions. It?s the best out here.
http://www.bigwavedave.ca/forecasts.php

Was out in my boat last weekend and it was flat calm. Been out in 15 knots winds and I was wishing I was back home. The wind is only part of the equation. The waves, the tide and the wind can make it uncomfortable for even a bigger boat. I have seen many boats like yours out here so you should be fine.

Here is a little hijack for some results from last Sunday. See?. we even fish in the winter. Just pick your days.

SAM_0703.jpg

SAM_0710.jpg

SAM_0714.jpg

GLG

Beezerchris

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks so much. Just the two gents I was hoping to hear from actually.
Nice fishing shots too.

Well come April I'll have completed the boating and radio courses and will have the boat rigged to go.

Appreciate the answers.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Smart Allic !! thats where the fish went that were supposed to be in the North Sound. Great day you had. I lost all my top awnings in the last big wind storm last week so extra tarps over the Starcrafts. I am going to have a 18 by 26 ft 7 ft walls Metal carport built its only going to cost about 1300 and they will install.

el toro

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Beezer, I seem to recall that green Starcraft up for sale about a year ago on craigslist. Am I right? Did you buy it or were you trying to sell it?

Deadwood

Chief Petty Officer

Here is a little hijack for some results from last Sunday. See?. we even fish in the winter. Just pick your days.

GLG, my turn to say "thanks" for the pics. You reminded me that my sons and I will be back on the water in a month...plan to do some crabbing from the boat around the bay and casting from the bank for steelhead up river.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I've never boated in a tidal area, so that is not something I'm familiar with, but I can say that we get some nasty stuff in the great lakes here just from the wind.

My 16' SS did very well in Lake Huron this past summer. I was impressed with how well it handled 3-5' swells. Very dry ride and great to have the huge splashwells too. Not that I want to troll in that but when you need to get back to the dock sometimes you deal with some rollers.:)

I agree that keeping an eye on the wind is important, have a marine band radio that works for peace of mind too as I'm sure you already have.

Being that you are trolling you probably already have a kicker as a backup motor so that helps too.

Let us know how it goes, good luck to ya:)

Nice salmon photos GLG:D