Outboard Winter storage

spocter72

Cadet
Hello All;

I have been told by a few people to let the engine "run out of gas". Normally I use the gas additive for storage (sta-bil).I think I need to know the answer from the experts here. Do I continue to use the gas additive OR is it best to run the engine out of gas so there is no fuel in the carbs. Thank You very much.....spoc

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Outboard Winter storage

This is often debated but one thing that is for sure....if you run a multi-cylinder, multi-carb motor "out of gas", one or more cylinders are going to run dry before the others thus running, however briefly, with no lubrication. That just doesn't sound like a great idea to me. I personally feel that running Stabil through your last tank of gas is sufficient. (I'm not an expert)

(full disclosure: I don't personally do jack squat to my outboard to "winterize" it other than change the lower unit oil. I haven't had any problems yet)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Fill the tank and treat it with the additive of your choice; Stabil, Star Tron, etc., then run the motor for a while to get it into your fuel system. Some people then use fogging oil to kill the motor. Not a bad idea, but I don't usually do it because I've been known to take my barge out occasionally in the fall and winter. It does get cold here, but nothing like other parts of the country, so year 'round boating is not out of the question. Happy hibernating.;)

portd

Seaman Apprentice

I have always used a stabilizer and not ran my outboard out of gas

(use it in all my gas engines for seasonal storage)

Silverskeeter

Seaman

I will put some Stabil in the tank and run it through the system with the muffs for a few . Then get out the Stabil fogger oil and spray the intake to kill the motor.Take out the plugs and fog the cylinders also.Cover and pray for a quick painless winter ! I am already taking trips in my head to my planned destinations for next season ! I am not an expert ,but this has always worked well for me, to each his own.I do this same thing to the pwc as well.Matter of fact this is what I have planned for this weekend !

spocter72

Cadet

Thanks Guys...Sounds to me like the stabilizer is the way to go. Yeah, its a 150 merc and it makes alot of sense about some cyl's running out before the others. Thank you all very much. I appreciate it ..spoc