energetic friend

dutchdog

Seaman
I have a buddy that is hyper energetic. He doesn't do anything slow. We decided to take my new to me truck and camper and his truck and boat camping. The place we went has no campground but there is a spot where people camp. It is on a point with the boat ramp on one side and a cove on the other. After some working we finally get the camper on this spot without tearing up the camper. While I'm setting up the camper he puts his 18 ft. bass boat in and beaches it in the cove. We decide to grab lunch before going fishing. I finish eating before he did so I walk down to his boat to get a rod and fish a little. When I get to his boat the back deck is under water, it is all the way to the seats. I holler at Sam and ask if he put the plug in. He runs down to the boat and sees that it has sunk. He jumps in the boat, turns on the bilge pump, grabs the plug and goes swimming. He grabs a bucket and starts bailing the water. I'm just watching trying to get his attention. I tell him no mater how much water he bails he will never catch up to the water coming over the back. We stand there looking at the boat trying to figure a way to get the boat up. He has a chain in his truck so I go get the chain and my new to me truck and start weaving through the trees to the boat. The chain wont hook to the bow eye so he hooks it around the trolling motor, pulls the plug and I start pulling this water logged boat up on land. After about an hour the water is almost gone so he puts the plug back in and we try to float the boat. Over half of the boat is on dry land and we can't push it back in. I end up putting my bumper on the bow and pushing it back in. We load the boat back on the trailer and pulled the plug again. It set and drained for hours before we went fishing . It took almost 2 weeks to fully dry out. He has left his plug out at least 3 more times that I know but caught it before it was this bad. He'll never learn to slow down and double check everything.

SigSaurP229

Commander
Re: energetic friend

I can relate. I am a very energetic individual who has a BAD habit of moving way quicker than I should. I still have not sunk a boat and have left a plug out one time. That man needs a checklist and BAD, he will learn when it gets expensive enough.

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

Interesting. Lucky you where able to get the truck in close enough to push the boat back in. Bet that did wonders for the hull....

Christmas is coming, maybe a laminated launch checklist would be the perfect gift. :cool:

<<)))(((>>

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Why do you take the plug out everytime? I only take mine out when I store it for winter.

huntndakota

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I take my plug out on the way home just in case. I drilled into the end of the plug and put a 10/24 eyebolt in the end. When I scew out the plug I put it on my key ring with one of those flexable chain things. I forgot he plug 2 times before I did this now never happens. I also have a laminated checklist I go thru before and after I go out. This way friends and the girlfriend can help with the duties.

dutchdog

Seaman

Sam parks his boat outside. If he leaves the plug in the boat will fill with water. I keep my boat in the garage so the onlt time my plug comes out is when towing in the rain. As for a checklist he won't slow down long enough to use it.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I put a cover over mine. I guess if you leave it out in the weather without a cover that would be a good reason to pull the plug.

rollo1002

Cadet

I can tend to be one of these guys but when I get around my boat I slow way down. I sometimes double and triple check things. Especially when I am launching at 4:00 am to do a duck hunting.

madgadget

Petty Officer 1st Class

Auto bilge pump switch would have helped here!!

soundchaser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You're not a true boater until you've forgot the plug at least 1 time. Seems most of us old heads learned that one the hard way. Hopefully for most, not as hard as your buddy :)

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

I put a cover over mine. I guess if you leave it out in the weather without a cover that would be a good reason to pull the plug.

I have seen a NUMBER of covered boats filled with rain water over the winter.

Pull the plug.

robert graham

Admiral

A little trick I use to try and keep from screwing up...I walk all the way around the boat twice, just looking at it, and it's a good reminder for special items like plugs,etc. When I used to pilot a plane, we called it a "walk around", before every take-off. Not a bad idea!

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have seen a NUMBER of covered boats filled with rain water over the winter.

Pull the plug.

Over the winter I pull the plug, but not after every trip. I only have to remember the plug once in the spring.

stic88

Petty Officer 1st Class

are you sure he is not doing meth?.....jk