timing light questions

forrealcc

Seaman
i went to auto hole to get a timing light.what do i need ?they have a 40 and 99 dollar one.i need to time a 283xxx 115 hp

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: timing light questions

Just telling us their cost really isn't saying anything. Any 12V timing light with an inductive pickup will work.

forrealcc

Seaman

Just telling us their cost really isn't saying anything. Any 12V timing light with an inductive pickup will work.

lets start there .inductive pickup?what does it mean and are inductive pickup timing lights for or the same as a vehicles?

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

An inductive pickup (non contact) is a coil of wire enclosed in a clamp that creates a field to sense the current (spark) going through a wire it inturn triggers the timing light to flash each time the spark is sensed, and yes it's the same as any automotive timing light. It'll have the pick up clamp and leads to connect to a 12 volt power source (your battery)

forrealcc

Seaman

thanks that helps alot .so with this one i will be able to do all the adjusting and stuff with just this light>?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

All the adjusting of "what stuff" A timing light will allow you to set the timing. It does not help you with any other adjustments. What you need in addition to the timing light is a service manual for your specific engine. Timing is only one aspect of engine adjustment. there is a "not so little" adjustment procedure called "link and sync" that runs anywhere from 4 to about 8 pages depending on the engine and the quality of the manual.

forrealcc

Seaman

A timing light will allow you to set the timing. It does not help you with any other adjustments.

primary pickup synchronizing timing

maximum advance timing

secondary PICKUP adjustment

let me know sir .i have the manual from the sticky on this forum .

link and sync .dont remember seeing this in the manual.