Can't reinstall flywheel on '61 10 hp Johnson

kfa4303

Banned
Hi all. Can't seem to get my flywheel back on my '61 10 hp QD-22. There is a spring loaded cam on the crank shaft which I can't get to stay down while I reinstall the flywheel. B/c it is spring loaded, it pops up past the rocker arms on the points, then I can't get it down. Any ideas on how to keep the cam which says "TOP" on it to stay down so I can put the flywheel back on. Thanks.

kbait

Commander
Re: Can't reinstall flywheel on '61 10 hp Johnson

I hate that design! I use screwdriver to hold the cam down while putting the flywheel on, and if you're quick, it works. I always wished I had an extra set of hands though.. so call a buddy and entice him w/beer!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Actually, no problem. Turn the shaft/cam to where it is just short of starting to open one set of points. Then the cam will slide down without interference.

You didn't ask, but I made a short piece of tubing to hold the cam down while setting the points. Flywheel nut holds the tubing down, tubing holds the cam down.

kfa4303

Banned

thanks ya'all. I was able to get it down using the screwdriver method, and I'll be sure to use the tube trick next time to set the points too. I just pushed and held the cam down with a screwdriver to set the points. A third hand would've been nice, but I go it back on, turned the flywheel a few times by hand and got nice blue saprk from each of my plugs.
However, if I need to adjust the points in the future can I use the "view hole" in the flywheel to do so, or should I take off the flywheel every time. If I can, should I assume that the cam is at the "TOP" position when the view hole is over the points. Thanks!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You can adjust the points through the hole. That's what it is there for.