1972 Evinrude 9.5 hp won't start

manrod111

Recruit
this motor looks in great condition but won't start after sitting for a while. The carburetor needed to be cleaned and as I was there I replaced the float and needle valve. If I pour a little gas into the carb., it will run until the fuel burns off. I checked the fuel pump and that is working. There is this knob Lean/Rich on the front that has a cable into the carb. Perhaps that is stuck closed in the carb not alllowing gas to flow through? I cannot see how to take that cable apart from the carb to investigate. Any ideas? Thanks

manrod111

Recruit
Re: 1972 Evinrude 9.5 hp won't start

The bowl in the carburetor is filling with fuel, so that's not the problem either

Rick.

Captain

Does the carb. fill with gas when you pump your primer bulb? It should. How confident are you that your fuel pump works? If the primer and fuel pump works then it sounds as though your float/needle is sticking shut. Best of luck. Rick.

manrod111

Recruit

The carb does fill with fuel. I disconnected the fuel line from the carb. Then I tried to start it and watched fuel shoot out the hose, so I am sure it is working. Is it possible that it pumps some but not as much as it should?

Rick.

Captain

Yes that is possible. You might try elevating your tank above the engine. Then the fuel will fill the carb. by gravity and that should tell you if your pump isn't up to snuff. To remove your slow speed needle you simply keep turning it counter clockwise and it will come free of the carb. Before you do though wind it in and count the number of turns until it gently seats so you know where to put it back to. Rick.