TV/DVD for small boat

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I am looking for recommendations for a small 12-15" tv/dvd for the cuddy of my 21ft trophy. I fish with my kids and want to put a tv down below so they can go and watch a movie when they are bored!. LOL I do not have a genny so this needs to be a 12V power model and does not use alot of juice. I have been thinking of the portable little units but I was hoping for something a bit bigger that 9"

Let me know what you think

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: TV/DVD for small boat

Couple of years ago, my wife bought a battery/wall powered dual screen DVD player. One master and one slave screen about 9 inches each with a 6 foot cord between them. Ran about 150 then probably less now. I THINK it had a lighter plug for power but haven't used it in a while--don't remember. Whole smash came in a carrying case like a laptop.

I think that would be better for a small cuddy like yours. Each kid, if only two, has their own screen and it doesn't take up much room, aand is more easily portable.

hostage

Lieutenant

ipad would be my choice

Harry

Was going to make a similar suggestion. You could get an ipad w/ Data with Verizon and stream Netflix (I am assuming Verizion still has unlimited Data as AT&T doesn't). If you are going further out you could always rip something from your legally owned DVD collection and play it on a portal device like a netbook or something. I highly advise against using an actual DVD, since you will be using a lot of power spinning your DVD. A notebook with good battery and a solid state drive would be the best for storing and watching video.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Last I heard, VZW's ipad was only wi-fi.

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Give this web site a look. They have about anything you might need for 12 vdc applications. TV, TV with DVD, coffee makers . . .

These type of accessories are used by truckers everyday.

http://www.12volt-travel.com/

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

We used a portable GE TV for years and ran it off 12volts. With the switch to the digital signal its now obsolete. It could be connected to a converter box, but as of last spring I couldn't find a converter that wasn't 120 VAC.

The new digital TVs were cost prohibitive when they first came out. Then, last Christmas I found one for $150 on sale. It appeared to be a good unit, but it worked like crap. I live in a metropolitan area, but all I could get was 1 channel on it, and that came in bad. I went to various sites in town and that was the best it would do so I returned it.

Now we're using a portable DVD player with $1 garage sale used movies. Mine is a SONY and it has exceptional sound and picture quality.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ipad is out. I live in canada in a rural area. So no service and very expensive if it is available.

Costco has the multiple 9" dvd players. They are only $90 for both. I was hoping for something bigger though.

captainzac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We use ipads on corp. aircraft.
pre load what ever you need ( even charts )
up to 20 movies
games
music
if you have a aux. in on front of your radio you can play it through the radio
if not you can use small speakers made for the ipod
The bat on the ipad is good for about 8 hrs
charges through the cig. lighter
and you can check your e-mail when you dock
might not be right for you but works pretty good on aircraft and in my boat

Harry

ziggy

Admiral

wow, boating sure has changed since i was a kid in the '60's. tv on board, wow. and to think i was appeased with candy when i was a youngster out fishing in the wood row boats of the era with dad and grandad... what a new day and age we live in now...

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When you fish with the wife and four kids under 8, you need to make sure you have all the bases covers. If not, the admiral will be unhappy, which will lead to me being unhappy.......Eventually!

Like the old saying goes, If she is unhappy you unhappy. If she is unhappy long enough, I'll be unhappy without a house and a boat..... But with the bill for them. LOL

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

wow, boating sure has changed since i was a kid in the '60's. tv on board, wow. and to think i was appeased with candy when i was a youngster out fishing in the wood row boats of the era with dad and grandad... what a new day and age we live in now...

Ain't that the truth. When I was a kid in the 50's just the thought of being in the boat with Dad and Grandad would have kept me happy for weeks on end.

My kids are now in their 30's, but they all went in the boat fishing with Mom & Dad starting when they were only months old.....before they could even stand up. Mother would change diapers while I landed the fish. When they were 2 or 3 they fell asleep. When they were 7 or 8 they were taught how to fish.

Involve them in the activities and they won't need to be amused all the time.

No cell phones, no gameboys, yada yada. But most of all............no peer pressure from idiot parents that gave their friends all the crap just to keep them quiet.

It may be a new age, but its not a better age.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

You can use a regular 110v TV/DVD. Just grab a 12v-to-110v inverter. The new TV's don't draw that much power as the older stuff. I would definately keep the engine running or have a dedicated house battery for it though. It might kill the starting battery after a few hours if it's all wired together.

You can also use a laptop computer. Most of them play DVD's as well and have a 15" screen. They can be powered off of a much smaller inverter, have their own battery supply, accept headphones or external speakers, and you can get the software to turn it into a GPS for you as well! Plus, if the kids don't want to watch a movie, there is a million other things they can do on the computer.

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

This or two DVD players are your best choices.

"You can use a regular 110v TV/DVD. Just grab a 12v-to-110v inverter. The new TV's don't draw that much power as the older stuff. I would definately keep the engine running or have a dedicated house battery for it though. It might kill the starting battery after a few hours if it's all wired together."

I wouldn't run the engine and would opt for the house battery, but if its only for a couple of hours, the one battery should be OK.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

I recomend checking out a truck stop. they cater to otr drivers who want 12 volt dc tv vcr combo. I would also add a second battery and switch to your 12 volt system.

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Old used laptop is the best idea. Plays dvds and no power problems.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

would it be easier to get a 120vac unit and an inverter? i'm going to research this a little over the winter, looking for a 19 - 21" type tho, a lot of ppl i know have 'em in their boats, slightly larger cruiser however

Druff1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We have a 25" JVC TV/DVD flat screen... Ran it off of an inverter all summer. I think we payed $20-30 for the inverter at Walmart.. The boys loved it. We also bought one of those old joystick games that has all the old school video games on it(Pacman,Galaga,ect)... The game runs off batteries.. Now that winter is here the tv is going in one of their rooms, just for the winter..

ChampionShip

Petty Officer 1st Class

We started using a portable (13" or so) tv/dvd with dual voltage as a second (and cheap, think it was under $120) fish finder screen, since I can't see the main screen mounted at the helm while setting lines and fishing. If the kids get bored we put in a DVD for them. It'd probably be easier to have a tv for them in the cuddy, but when they're down there they are more likely to get seasick while we're trolling. **the sonar we use has a/v outputs which makes this possible- I can't use different screens than the head unit, but can at least mark fish, downrigger balls, depth, speed, etc.

Poledancer1-2.jpg