WOW this was way too close for comfort!

G

:mad: Just had a message from my neice up in Manitawagde up north by Thunder bay Ont. Her 2 kids went to school this am and got chased by a pack of coyotes :eek: Kinda scared the bejeepers out them!!! I am sure glad they were able to make it someplace safe real fast. Too close for comfort if you ask me. Maybe there should be armed school crossing guards up there.

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: WOW this was way too close for comfort!

There has been a several people attacked by coyotes this year. I guess it's time for the old "shoot on sight" attitude that was the norm a few years back. Yotes were not so brazen when man was the top predator and not the "easy pickens" it seems they think we are.

dlindeblad

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know they are bad up in Upper Michigan too. They have been wreaking havoc on the deer population by running them to death and then killing them. A few seasons ago I had one come into my hunting site. Needless to say it is not longer able to chase the deer. I understand that every animal in nature serves a purpose, but left unchecked they can become a niusance. Packs of coyotes fit this bill...

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know they are bad up in Upper Michigan too. They have been wreaking havoc on the deer population by running them to death and then killing them. A few seasons ago I had one come into my hunting site. Needless to say it is not longer able to chase the deer. I understand that every animal in nature serves a purpose, but left unchecked they can become a niusance. Packs of coyotes fit this bill...

yep... They have trapped and disposed of 17 of em' just in a 10 mile radius of my house in the last 2 months. Me and the neighboor just found a den of 9 within a stone throw of our house.:eek: We started looking for them when we started hearing their yipping sounds in the field after dark...

What's really surprising is that they have really grown in size around here in the past few years. Used to be normal to see them at around 25 to 30 pounds, and now they all are around 35 to 45 pounds:eek:... this also explains why were not seeing very many turkey, and deer this year.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Anytime you have a pack, whether wolfs, dogs or coyotees, it is bad news.
In many areas it is time to cull the population down a whole lot.

JRJ

Commander

How many coyotes? Aren't there wolves up there? How old are the kids? Better take them to school or put them on a fast quad or snowmobile.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Our coyote and wolf populations have skyrocketed here in Michigan lately. They will help keep the deer herds healthy and culled at least.

I even saw a wild wolverine twice up north, I stayed in the truck since those things aren't afraid of anything.:)

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

They're all over the place. We have them here in Louisiana too. In fact, I saw one crossing a major roadway just a couple of days ago. I do live in an area that is heavily wooded, but its on the edge of a heavily populated area, so I was a litle surprised.

???

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

I live just north of Houston (Texas) in a pretty large suburb and we've been spotting coyotes in the neighborhood for the past 4 or 5 years. On another note...

... Maybe there should be armed school crossing guards up there.

That may not be a bad idea. I'd like to see that around here - for a couple of good reasons.

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

They're all over the place. We have them here in Louisiana too. In fact, I saw one crossing a major roadway just a couple of days ago. I do live in an area that is heavily wooded, but its on the edge of a heavily populated area, so I was a litle surprised.

???

Sorry... Are you talking about coyotes or wolverines? Its well known that Michigan does not have wolverines. We only had one that was ever even documented, and
It died this year.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I'm talkng about coyotes. Wolverines don't look anything like a coyote.

???

Silverskeeter

Seaman

Used to live in N.M. We were eating at a local restaurant in a very small town. After dinner I went to look at an old abandoned building next door.I was walking around the building smoking a cig and when I turned around there was a coyote about 2 feet behind me ! WAY too close for comfort!

Huron Angler

Admiral

huh???:confused: yeah... good one:rolleyes:

Sorry... Are you talking about coyotes or wolverines? Its well known that Michigan does not have wolverines. We only had one that was ever even documented, and
It died this year.

Yeah I saw a wolverine, had a buddy with me and we saw it twice.

If you believe the Michigan DNR claims that only one Wolverine lived in Michigan and it died last year...I have some swampland for sale that you may be interested in, which may of may not be inhabited by wolverines:p

BTW I asked a DNR agent about this issue in august when he was sent out to collect a dead bald eagle from our property and he told me that the one that died was the only "documented" wolverine, and it's ludicrous to think there was one solitary animal.

Head north of the 45th parallel and you will see lots of animals not found in the suburbs.:)

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah I saw a wolverine, had a buddy with me and we saw it twice.

If you believe the Michigan DNR claims that only one Wolverine lived in Michigan and it died last year...I have some swampland for sale that you may be interested in, which may of may not be inhabited by wolverines:p

BTW I asked a DNR agent about this issue in august when he was sent out to collect a dead bald eagle from our property and he told me that the one that died was the only "documented" wolverine, and it's ludicrous to think there was one solitary animal.

Head north of the 45th parallel and you will see lots of animals not found in the suburbs.:)

While its not worth a thread hijack, I won't disturb your DNR conspiracy theory.:rolleyes: