What voltage if all is correct?

richardbrown67@yahoo.com

Seaman Apprentice
1980 Johnson 70 hp 3 cyl. I'm trying to decide if my charging system is working. What voltage should I get if I have the motor at a little above idle and I put a voltmeter on the battery terminals? I've been told that is the way to check. Is that correct?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: What voltage if all is correct?

Engine NOT running.... attach a volt meter across the battery terminals. Make a note of the reading.

Start the engine and increase the throttle. Observe the reading.... it should have increased somewhat.

You could also temporarily attach a ammeter between the positive terminal of the battery and the starter solenoid large positive cable terminal. This should give you a ampere charge reading.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: What voltage if all is correct?

If you hook an amp meter between the positive bat terminal and the cable make sure it's a good one. Remember, when you start the mtr the starter mtr draws a lot of amps. If you haven't got a good amp meter the best way is still to take voltage readings across the battery. With a regulated system you should see 13.8 to 14.2 volts. Unregulated 16 volts or so.