Hernando Beach Florida

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander
Took momma offshore for a fun day. We have had some spotty fishing in 60' lately so decided to stay within 40' The first spot we hit was in 43' (so I lied!) and was hot from the start. I had a lot of frozen baby grunts, pinfish, sailors choice and some nice squirrel fish to drop down. We had nothing but red grouper on this spot, but at least a half dozen were up to 17"- 19"..just short.
Move north about ten miles and noticed the early winds dropped out and we were running in nearly calm seas. This 'ol rig was cruising at about 35 and the next drop came up quickly. Same 'ol same 'ol, so moved again to 38'. Got our first gags there, but a tad undersized. One more drop put us on 33' and a nice bottom. It turned out to be the hot spot. We put a dozen gags on board, two of them were 22" and 24", so that was good for a couple of dinners.
We had a big remora pick up a flatline.
We had many double hook-ups.
It was so nice out there yesterday, we almost stayed too long. The run back was around an hour and we hit the dock at 6:30..and dark!
We had a good time. I had just finished the brakes on my trailer and all that worked well. Just changed some fuel/water separators and no problems there either. I found my weak VHF radio was due the "low" setting being selected and my tired eyes not spotting it, so one more thing up to speed.
All in all another fine day on the water and we got a little dinner to boot...

http://s314.photobucket.com/albums/ll422/triumphrick/Hernando bch barb rick nov 14 10/

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Hernando Beach Florida

GREAT PICS RICK BUD!!!!!

Thats a nice day out on the water!
I've been itching to go out and try some of the wrecks down here off Sanibel..Diane's a bit "aprehensive" about the 18 footer out there...But I think it's "near shore" enough!

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Hernando Beach Florida

GREAT PICS RICK BUD!!!!!

Thats a nice day out on the water!
I've been itching to go out and try some of the wrecks down here off Sanibel..Diane's a bit "aprehensive" about the 18 footer out there...But I think it's "near shore" enough!

You guys would be fine, Kevin. I lived in Englewood for about ten years and ran a 19' CC all over the place. I hit 100' of water regularly. I think it is only 12 miles out from down there. I have to run about 45 miles out to get that deep up here!!
It's all about being prepared. We run out with two gps mounted and a third hand-held, two vhf radios, a PLB and a good BoatUS membership...
Also, the white bait is so much easier to get where you are. The snapper and grouper love them!