Fastening plywood to skin of transom

wallybme

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am about to fasten the plywood to the transom and would like to have some feedback. Here are the questions I would like to ask:

1. Can I attach the ply to the skin using epoxy. I would first glass the side that is to be attached to the skin and then use glass to attach it.

2. If I do this, can I use a mixture of filler and glass for the attachment. The reason I am asking is that when I removed the old ply there was about a 1/4inch of glass I had to sand off before coming to the fiberglass skin. Besides too the glass was thicker at some spots indicating that there was an uneveness of the skin. I think that by using this glass mixture it will fill the uneven spots between the skin and the plywood.

here's before sanding

IMG_8646.jpg

Here's after sanding
IMG_8775.jpg

3. If this is not the best way and I decide to use glue to attach the ply is LIQUID NAIL an option to PL? Looking at the glue in Home Depot I think I can get a better spread with liquid nail than PL. They sell liquid nail in 3 gallon container and that wouuld give the opportunity of really spreading this stuff. It is a little bit more expensive not by a few dollars.

Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated. :confused::confused:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fastening plywood to skin of transom

Wally,

What will you be using on the rest of your boat? Poly or Epoxy? What ever it is use that to attach your transom to the outer skin. Mix up some cabosil with the resin and hardener to a consistency of mayonaise, spread it out then clamp it on. Fillet out the squeeze out and you'll be good to go. Don't clamp her to hard just enough to get a good bond. Check out my suggestion for transom clamps here.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=441929&page=6

They really come in handy installing your transom. Cost Less than 5 bucks each to make.

I'm just sayin...:D

wallybme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply and advise. I value it greatly. I will be using poly throughout. from my research I found out that poly, although a bit more expensive creates a better bonding than poly.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the reply and advise. I value it greatly. I will be using poly throughout. from my research I found out that poly, although a bit more expensive creates a better bonding than poly.

eh ? If you ment that epoxy has better bonding then Poly..yes..and no..

Not for what your doing..and if you do it right..then Poly is all you need..but I could be wrong..

YD.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You got this backwards.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

So... What will you be using????

I'm just sayin...:D

wallybme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

YES epoxy resins have better adesive properties than poly and vinyl. Poly is used a lot in marine because of lower cost. epoxy is almost twice the price as poly. Also you will find that after curing epoxy will have a greater tensile strength and stiffness than poly and vinyl. approximately 20 to 30 % more. poly is more susceptible to water degradation than epoxy.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Poly works just fine for where your at on the project.

I understand why your thinking epoxy I did too, but poly works just fine.

I put some csm between the skin and transom wood which I already sealed up real good.

I think that is the most important thing you worry about is sealing it up first and then installing it.