1989 force 125 hp waterpump rubber washer mystery

icdeadfish

Recruit
help, help ready to do the waterpump again bottom of impeller 1/3 up gonefound pieces in block when tore it apart also found pieces of rings and the part of piston between rings missing on #1 & 4 have a used powerhead coming but the problem I have is the black washer almost like a garden hose washer not sure if it goes on top of water pump on driveshaft or there is a small space between the plastic pump housing and the metal sleeve that the impeller fits in the diagrams on line dont show detail that good. Also a tip I learned hard way after trying to trouble shoot my missing engine problem thought i figured it out i pulled plug wires 1 at a time #4 made no difference so I thought it was a trigger problem took it to shop here in Santa Cruz to see what it would cost to fix problem get call hour later come pick it up they thought I sucked in a reed in #4 since they pulled the head and saw some damage to top side of piston handed me me head and a bag of head bolts and charged me 200 bucks for the bad news and said that it would cost 4 to 5 thousand bucks to fix. my lesson learned do a compression check dont assume it is spark only. sorry the message is so long for my first post but need to vent had the bayliner since 1995 and a lot of lake trips and salmon trips and my biggest 32 lb 3 years ago I hope the used powerhead gives another 10 years of ($$ JOY $$) FISH-ON last Im not sure if I paid attention to direction of impeller when i install them I will this time with dishsoap thanks to one the generals replys good day

'96 Charger

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1989 force 125 hp waterpump rubber washer mystery

Welcome to iboats. That said, not trying to sound rude but PLEASE use punctuation and paragraphs. You'll get a lot more help that way;)

icdeadfish

Recruit

O.K. Thanks for the tip. I was looking for spell check but they probably wont do the other stuff too like periods and paragraphs. I will do better in future thanks

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Pictures please. Anytime you have something you don't recognize, post a pic.
Your description might make sense to you but not to me.
How do you like that 2 replys and 2 complaints.Mines not really a complaint.It's a request for more info.J

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Yeah! Difficult to decipher BUT: The black rubber washer that looks like a hose washer goes over the drive shaft on the outside top of the waterpump. What it does, I don't know, but the designers must have put it there for a reason.

icdeadfish

Recruit

Thanks Frank I think that is where it was it is odd that it fits almost perfect between the pump housing and metal sleeve a little sloppy side to side. My cymer manual says impeller turns clockwise but right below that statement a diagram of a impeller turning counter clokwise and they even draw arrows on driveshaft going counter clockwise it is a 9hp diagram. Do some motors turn go counter clockwise and some clockwise.The more I read that manual the more confused I get. I may be better off just trying to figure it out by trial and error thanks again Frank

carholme

Rear Admiral

From what I have been told concerning the same rubber on my Merc 500 is that it is a slinger. That is, when the driveshaft is turning, any residual fuel or oil in the area is slung away from the top seal of the waterpump, protecting the seal.

carholme