servicing in water questions

66mstgfsbk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have to change manifolds and risers on a 79 volvo 280 with a 5.7. if i do this in the water will water come rushing in and flood the boat? i have no trailer and the manifold is leaking. any help is appreciated. thanks

Speakrdude

Ensign
Re: servicing in water questions

I've changed heads on my 84 Volvo 260, a couple of times while in the water. No, water will not come up past the top of the Y-pipe. You kinda have to watch out for people that don't observe the no-wake rule. If the boats gets to jumping up and down too much, you may get a little water in there. You can always improvise a temp cover using plastic and the pipe clamps.
Now the lower cooling hose on the crank mounted pump! That's another story. Don't take it off while in the water. Don't ask me how I know.

Jim

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I"ve changed a couple of thermostats with the boat in the water, I used a wood plug to make sure water didn't come in the raw water intake line (if the line dropped below the water level, it's possible that water could come in. I'd fab up some kind of a cover for the Y pipe just to be on the safe side, you could use some plastic sheeting (like a drop cloth) cut to the right size and just secure it over the opening with the hose clamp. BTW make sure you drain the water out of the manifold before removing the riser, because when you remove the riser and break the seal between the two water can run down the exhaust passage into a cylinder.....

RichRab

Petty Officer 1st Class

3:58 AM--someone is loosing sleep over this! Check on line for the manifolds and gaskets. Try inboardonline.com Good Luck

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

Ive pulled the intake hose off of the raw water pump many a times on our boat and no water came gushing in. Gotta take it off to drain the water out of it when its winterized. The intake hose it looped up above the water line, so it doesnt matter on our boat. Could be different for other boats I suppose though.

It really depends on how low the boat sits in the water. The top of our Y pipes are above the water line.

Bondo

Staff member

79 volvo 280

Ayuh,... Do those things even Have a Y-pipe,..??

By manufacturers Spec,...
The static waterline has to be 13" Below the turn of the riser/ elbow to prevent reversion, 'n backwash...

Your raw water intake will vary by application,...
But for the exhaust manifolds, just run the t-stat hose ends up higher while they're off...