Wrong ratio for barrier coat

kjSailing

Recruit
My 35' sailboat had her hull stripped down to the fiberglass so I could redo it. My nephew was helping me and we began with a barrier coat of Interlux 2000e. We has 2 coats on and quit for the night. As I was cleaning up I noticed my nephew didn't mix a good inch of the hardener in the gallon can for each coat. After that I did half of the hull with the correct mix but stopped cause I'm afraid that the first two coats will not create the proper bond to the hull.

Is this going to cause problems down the road? Everything appears ok with the correctly mixed batch, do i continue on over the two bad coats?

Any thought are much appreciated!

Karen

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Wrong ratio for barrier coat

If the IP2000 was hard then Im sure you will be fine.

Ive had to mix very small portions of it and quite frankly its kinda hard to do a 3:1 that small..

A few things Ive learned about IP2000...

1. WEAR A RESPO !!!! this is some Nasty stuff man..dont mess around with it period !.

2. Follow your Induction time ( I wait 30 min after mix before application myself ).

3 Follow your recoat windows.. ( 3hrs-14 days for recoat without sanding between coats for IP2000... BUT Most importantly is your Bottom paint window ( If your using ) is No sooner then 5 hours...and NO later than 8 hours ! After 8 hours its recommended to sand before your first Bottom paint coat )).

4. Dont Power mix your base before you add your hardener when mixing the whole gallon ( Unless you put both of them into a larger container ) Mixing just the base will mix air and makeing the Volume more..you wont be able to put the full QT of hardener in the can LOL.

Infact..if your power mixing..its just best to get a larger container to mix it..or you will spill alot :) .

Good luck

YD.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Wrong ratio for barrier coat

The only good answer your going to get is from interlux.