Added one to the fleet today

reelfishin

Captain
Another Starcraft joined the rest today, sort of by accident but it turned out to be a better deal than I had expected.
So far the best I can tell it's a 1960 Voyager, someone has redone the deck with new plywood with two layers of glass over top, and done a poured transom using what appears to be Nida Bond Transom mix.
It came to me on a way too heavy trailer, a 12 roller, 17-21' sized full roller, I moved it to a much lighter, lower trailer which I had sitting idle.
It needs a motor, the last owner bought it for it's motor, which from what I understand was a newer Suzuki. The transom is only 16" tall so I need to hunt down a short shaft.
The question is, what size motor on this thing? It had a 40hp from what I'm told, but the boat is really light and only 15' long. I'm thinking maybe I can get away with a 25hp?
With the 15" transom I'm leery of adding a lot of stern weight with my size and weight. I have a Merc Classic 50 here that will fit, but it's a good bit heavier than what it had.

From what I can find, the Voyager was rated at 10 to 60hp, so maybe a 20 or 25hp will put this thing on plane? For the most part it'll be carrying me and a fishing buddy, plus tackle, so I figure about 600lbs on board tops.

We fish mostly rivers and back bays, so there's no surf to deal with or huge seas, I would never run a boat this size out in open water. The 15" transom has me a bit concerned, but I'm considering ways of raising it but since it's a poured transom, I'm not sure what my options are other than just using a home made jack plate which won't solve the water over the stern issue that would be my biggest concern.

fshngho

Lieutenant
Re: Added one to the fleet today

Just my opinion RF, but I'd go with a 25 hp. Light motor and it's not like you need to race anyone. Maybe with some sluminum and a little imagination you can build a taller tansom, or a shield to protect against backsplash like the walleye fishing boats have.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Sounds like a nice old rig. We will need to see some photos I think.:)

A 25hp or 35hp would probably be great on there. Are you going with a tiller or controls?

reelfishin

Captain

This one is fiberglass. Its the first older Starcraft I've had in glass.
I also picked up another similar hull, but the second one is lapstrake fiberglass. Both look like they share top caps. The lapstrake hull needs a deck and a new transom.
I like the look of the lapstrake hull better but the Voyager is already all redone. Both appear to have only a single foam block of flotation under the bow deck ahead of the dash.

I have a good running Mercury 20hp short shaft which has both a tiller and remote option. I was wondering if that will get this thing on plane with 500lbs on board?
I weigh in at nearly 300, most of my fishing buddies are in the 200 to 250 range. Then ad tackle, fuel, and a battery.

This boat weighs less than my aluminum boat but it's wider and a bit longer, the 1971 Mercury 20 makes my aluminum boat fly, its faster than my 25hp Evinrude when run as a tiller motor on the other boat. The boat is by no means a classic or a looker, it's been repainted several times, and has plenty of dock scars around the rub rail. Since the transom is poured and recapped in fiberglass, the upper part of the hull is permanent as it's been glassed in place. I was thinking of cutting a made to fit panel from plywood and just adding a riser to the transom, or else just running a longer motor and a jack plate but I'm leery of the added leverage on an old boat. Since I didn't do the work myself, I won't really trust it until it's proven itself over time. It feels solid and doesn't move when I stand on the lower unit, so my guess is that it's all good.

The guy that had it had a clamp on 40hp, not sure of the make, most likely Mercury or an import.
The transom is rock solid when clamping down on it, no give whatsoever.
I do like the idea of running a smaller motor but the boat does still need to be able to get on plane. With a lighter motor, I'd be less concerned about the transom height.

fshngho

Lieutenant

By being wider and longer the boat will plane easier, more surface to ride on. Honestly the answer is simple enough. You have the boat and the motor, go try it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.:D

reelfishin

Captain

Doesn't longer and wider also mean more drag or water resistance?

Just hanging the other motor isn't all that simple, I'd have to wire in the controls, buy correct length cables and prop it to match the boat.

I was sort of hoping to hear someone elses experience with anything similar, that usually gives a better idea as to how a motor will work on a particular type of boat or hull.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Sorry, I was speaking from experience, sort of. I had a 12 ft jon boat with a 9.9 hp motor. I got a 14 ft extra wide jon boat and put the same motor on it. It went faster and planed quicker. It's all about displacement of the water.
Ever skipped a rock across a lake? The bigger rock always goes further. Its just my opinion, I am sure wiser people than me can help you.