Eagle Trailer Bunks

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello,

I just bought a new boat that came with an Eagle trailer, about 23' long. The boat sitting on it is a 21' Formula and weighs 3250 lbs. I took a close look at it today and it looks like a few of the bunks have rotted and are not really supporting the boat. Is this going to damage the boat if I do not have them replaced before the winter? Also, are trailer bunks something that I can replace myself once the boat is in the water? They appear to be just some 2x4's covered with some kind of pads...

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Eagle Trailer Bunks

Do you have any pics, without seeing what you have it can be had to determine. More then likely it probably won't watter through the winter, being a 21 footer on a 23 foot trailer but I would feel better giving an opinion seeing a pic.

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I will try to take some pics, but it will be hard to get any good ones. Basically one of the bunks is sagging and not even touching the hull, which means it is providing zero support. Can I easily replace trailer bunks myself? I've never messed with a trailer before.

alldodge

Staff member

I will try to take some pics, but it will be hard to get any good ones. Basically one of the bunks is sagging and not even touching the hull, which means it is providing zero support. Can I easily replace trailer bunks myself? I've never messed with a trailer before.

Replacing the bunks is pretty simple and I'm sure you can do it. In fact if you can jack up on side at a time and obtain enough clearence you can replace them on the trailer, but make sure it's supported with secure supports and not hydraulic jacks. If the bunks are holding the back half of the boat I would guess you would be ok through the winter. The back half has more 3/4 the weight of the the boat. You could still be ok but like I said without seeing it I just can not say.

dvandsm64

Petty Officer 2nd Class

we have an eagle trailer with 15" rims. our boat is 19' @ 3000lbs. with v-8. our bunks sag also, but are solid, seem to have conformed to our boat over time. don't know if this helps, also both boat and trailer are 1997.