75 hp Evinrude Starflite

edwardspn

Recruit
Just found buried in the back of a shed a 75 hp Evinrude Starflite Model: 50528 and Serial 58878 and would like to know more about it, i.e. year, weight, general specs if available.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 75 hp Evinrude Starflite

It is a 1962, Mechanical Shift. I'm not sure if it has the Unicharger or not, but if it does, the junction box and wiring harness is worth nearly as much as the rest of the motor. I hope you have it.

yorab

Ensign

I will soon finish rebuilding a 1963 75hp Starflite (hopefully-I've been saying that for 2 years now) and my parts motor is a 1962 75hp Starflite mechanical shift. I will have plenty of spare parts if you need any. I'll probably post on ebay or sell directly to those interested in hard-to-find parts. Let me know if you need anything along the way for your motor.

pongopocahontas

Recruit

I picked up one of these engines a few years ago in an estate sale. Just found out recently that it was a 1962. Are these valuable?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

1962 75hp Evinrude/Johnson...... Weight, approx 247 lbs.

Average speed, mounted on a 17' fiberglass boat:
Approx 37 mph.

Gas usage when set up properly:
At full throttle, 6 gal in 45 minutes (37 mph approx)
At crusing range, 6 gal in 1.5 hours (30 mph approx)

Crusing range is full throttle applied, then drop back to approx 3/4 throttle. This results in having the spark advance still at the full setting BUT drops the throttle butterfly setting to approx its 3/4 setting.

i have a 62 evinrude starflightIV 75hp,it was running last july and havent had time to use it since. i went out last week to start it, and it went click. obviously i checked the battery first and it had 12.85v in it, then i checked the battery side of the starter solenoid and it was good 12.70v. now is where it confuses me. the ground and the key have 0v to 0.8v on the solenoid with the key off and 2.5v on the ground and 9.4v on the key with it trying to start. is this bad wiring or a bad solenoid? or am i completely wrong and its the starter? thanks for any help, im really new at this.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Make sure the battery is fully charged and that all of the cable connections are clean and shiny from the battery all the way to the starter, including the negative ground connection to the block. If you have any doubts about the battery, take it down to the parts store and have it checked.

the battery is good ive tested that plenty but i think the wiring is original or pretty close to it. so i guess i need to re-wire everything. i had one small wire, from the key switch to the ammeter, that was burned out so i re-wired that. now im thinking the main wire from the starter solenoid to the key switch may be bad some where so i should replace that next