How do I lube my u-joints and gimbal bearings on volvo 4.3 with volvo outdrive?

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer
All my books and manuals say that they need to be done, but don't explain how to do it. They suggest that dealer needs to do it.

I don't like that suggestion.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How do I lube my u-joints and gimbal bearings on volvo 4.3 with volvo outdrive?

Pull the outdrive and lube the zirks on the ujoints if they have them. While the drive is off, check the alignment and grease the splines that go into the coupler.
The gimbal bearing has a grease zirk on the stbd. side of the transom shield.

Borchik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How do I lube my u-joints and gimbal bearings on volvo 4.3 with volvo outdrive?

a 2003 volvo penta does not have greaseable u-joints, they are non serviceable. the gimbal is greased via the fitting on the stbd side of the transom housing.

zbnutcase

Commander

a 2003 volvo penta does not have greaseable u-joints, they are non serviceable. the gimbal is greased via the fitting on the stbd side of the transom housing.

Unless they have been changed, need to pull drive and check.

sethjon

Gimbal doesn't have a fitting unless it was added.
The u joints have the zirk

scooper77515

low hours. All parts are original.

What is going price for yearly service on this boat?

Don S

Gimbal doesn't have a fitting unless it was added.

The SX style drive has always had a zirk on the transom shield (aka gimbal housing).

Don S

low hours. All parts are original.

What is going price for yearly service on this boat?

Impossible to say, depends on what you have done, and how much they charge per hour to work on your boat.

The best thing you could do is make a list of what YOU want done, and have who you plan on taking the boat to give you an estimate.

Winterizing and/or "Yearly Service" does not mean the samething to everyone.

scooper77515

I usually do my own work. But if I don't have a book that tells me how to do it all, I am up a certain creek without a paddle. Definitely don't want to tear this all down without instructions.

Recommend to me a book that has good tear-down and rebuild instructions.

The stuff I have downloaded skirts these subjects.

Don S

What's the full model number (or serial number) of your engine? Links to the OEM manuals I have.

scooper77515

Already took the boat back to storage unit. I will have to wait til I bring it back home to check the numbers. Outdrive was ...-m1, if i recall correctly. Engine is 4.3gl without the i