Bell housing bushings

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bell housing bushings

Use the search feature in the future. Took all of 5 seconds to find your answer.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=448478

Ill help you out this time. Good luck...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=50938&highlight=shift+shaft
I tried to use search but couldn't find what I was looked for. That post is refering to the shift shaft bushing in the lower unit, not the bell housing bushings. I'll give you a B+ for the effort.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Wrong shift shaft bushing Alpheus, that thread is for the one in the drive, he is referring to the ones in the bellhousing.

I've changed a bunch of those bushings, and to be quite honest, I don't recall what I actually used..... But it wasn't a problem.
Put a socket on top of the bushing and hammer it out.

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wrong shift shaft bushing Alpheus, that thread is for the one in the drive, he is referring to the ones in the bellhousing.

I've changed a bunch of those bushings, and to be quite honest, I don't recall what I actually used..... But it wasn't a problem.
**Edited**

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you, sir. 30 seconds and a 1/2 socket and I had them both out. What I thought was rust was actually the rubber part of the top bushing. Trimmed that back with a razor knife, three good taps with the hammer and it was out. I'm assuming I dont need a special driver to put the new ones in?

dubs283

Vice Admiral

I'm assuming I dont need a special driver to put the new ones in?

nope, use a brass hammer to install the new bushings, this way you won't damage the bushings

be sure clean the holes on the housing and put some loctite on the outside diameter of the bushings - i use blue

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class

nope, use a brass hammer to install the new bushings, this way you won't damage the bushings

be sure clean the holes on the housing and put some loctite on the outside diameter of the bushings - i use blue
Can they be driven in from either direction?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You can't get straight shot on the upper bushing going from the top down, but if you go from the bottom up, use a rod through the lower bushing hole. I use an extention with a socket on the end. put the socket on the extention backwards from normal, then you have a large flat surface to contact the bushing.

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can't get straight shot on the upper bushing going from the top down, but if you go from the bottom up, use a rod through the lower bushing hole. I use an extention with a socket on the end. put the socket on the extention backwards from normal, then you have a large flat surface to contact the bushing.
Thanks.