Info. what Year/hp is this mariner "UPDATE"

johnmark

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a mariner with serial number 6535832 can't find the model number or hp anywhere.would like to know the year & model, also if parts are still around. thanks a ton you guys.,John Mark

Last edited:

dude11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Info. what Year/hp is this mariner

I bet your in my boat---653 #'s,I believe was built mid 70's by Yamaha in Japan.You will also find a "S" or "L" right after the 653-meaning long or short shaft.If you do find something out about parts--please PM me,As I am looking for an impeller for mine,posted as "20hp.question,thax

johnmark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea no luck finding out anything on this motor......

johnmark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so far I've come up with 1974,1979,and 1984 ?????? the tag has 6535832 made in the USA.... Thanks,john mark

Fun Times

Staff member

I have a mariner with serial number 6535832 can't find the model number or hp anywhere.would like to know the year & model, also if parts are still around. thanks a ton you guys.,John Mark
Hi there, Your engine is going to be a 1984 MARINER 20 M Model number 7020204

Your service manual part number from mercury is 90-435093, It covers the 18/20/25 HP's

Here's a link to your engine parts for you.:)
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectDocs.asp?doc_nbr=13286

dude11

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bet your in my boat---653 #'s,I believe was built mid 70's by Yamaha in Japan.You will also find a "S" or "L" right after the 653-meaning long or short shaft.If you do find something out about parts--please PM me,As I am looking for an impeller for mine,posted as "20hp.question,thax

OK Boat Tech,please share with me,your source.Like I stated-I'm in need of an impeller and have yet locate a site in which to get parts.Does dance at your wedding work?? OR Buy you a cold beer?? Getting a little desperate here,thax in advance.BTW--only numbers I see is ser.#653S11649:D

johnmark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks a ton ,got this motor in a deal so don't have any $ in it (yet).Started to just list it as a parts motor.But I'll try to wake her up first. A running motor may bring a little more $.And give me a chance to tinker with something other than a OMC. Thanks Again,John Mark:D

johnmark

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Info. what Year/hp is this mariner "UPDATE"

Clean carb. Blew dust off of her and she started right up pumps water and runs Great. Thanks guys. John Mark ( I just love waking up old motors ):D

Fun Times

Staff member

OK Boat Tech,please share with me,your source.Like I stated-I'm in need of an impeller and have yet locate a site in which to get parts.Does dance at your wedding work?? OR Buy you a cold beer?? Getting a little desperate here,thax in advance.BTW--only numbers I see is ser.#653S11649:D
Sorry Dude11, But the system I use doesn't show any information on the Yamaha style engines, Or anything older then 1980ish.

And the other system that I believe some of the other guys use here at iboats is inoperative at this time for some reason, But i'm not positive of this, It just a guess really. Here would have been the website I would have tried to use for you. Heck the link won't even come up any more.:confused:

http://www.brunswickmarineemea.com/download/dosearch/@isnew/desc;jsessionid=1h2md2jvq8dp6?lang=EN&categories=OUTBOARD$&mod=4

The only thing I could suggest for you at this time is that you start a thread of your own asking for some help with finding your year to your engine.

There are a few really good guys here at iboats that post very informative information here on iboats, So I'm pretty sure that one of them should be able to help you find the information you need about your engine.

For example, Dunaruna may be able to help you out better then I can. But don't PM him, But you could ask for his help in the title.:D
http://forums.iboats.com/showpost.php?p=2823122&postcount=2

Now watch, I'll bet someone else is going to see all of this and they'll give you the info you need before you can post a new thread, lol.:) Oh well, Good luck with it Dude.:)

Laddies

Banned

dude,It will take the model and serial number from your plate to help

dude11

Petty Officer 1st Class

dude,It will take the model and serial number from your plate to help

Mariner,Japan made,ser.#653S11649--20hp.What I think I know is,it was made in Japan by Yamaha,about mid 70's.Most of the info I've seen only goes back to 1977,mine must be prior to that.There is no model #,that I know of.thax
Johnmark--Glad you got it going.:Dexcuse me for jumping in your thread-but as you know,I started one looking for info--and didn't get much help--that time.:D

Laddies

Banned

Your engine was built in 1977 in Japan and was the 1386th engiine built in 77 and should be a 2cyl, manual, short shaft 20HP at lest thats the way it left the plant

Dunaruna

Admiral

"and was the 1386th engiine built in 77"

Showoff smarty pants :D

Laddies

Banned

Hey Aldo, how's everthing down under hope you and your family are well. Happy Holidays, Bob.

dude11

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your engine was built in 1977 in Japan and was the 1386th engiine built in 77 and should be a 2cyl, manual, short shaft 20HP at lest thats the way it left the plant

My word!!! Now that's service!! Thank you Laddies--:D:D

Dunaruna

Admiral

Hey Aldo, how's everthing down under hope you and your family are well. Happy Holidays, Bob.

Hi Bob,

As usual, I'm busier than a one legged man in a butt kickin' contest. Never seem to get a chance to catch my breath.

Drought has finally broken, everything is green again :cool:. Nearly 14 years of subpar rains has turned around with a vengeance. The lake that I frequent has risen 50% in just over 2 months (it is a massive lake). The guys at my marina are working 24/7 to keep the floating docks tight and secure.

Wife still has medical issues, another 3 tumors detected last month, that makes a total of 13 in 8 years but she is a tough old broad and will battle on.

O/K, that a brief rundown of my life as of 8.41am, November 20th, 2010. What about you and yours?