Removeable VHF radio

cymru

Seaman
I want to be able to take the VHF radio off the boat quickly and easily. For that I will be wiring the radio into a plug, rather than have it permanently wired to the battery. Has anyone a recommendation for a good device? I have a couple of cigarette type sockets on board but don't think they would give a reliable current.

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Removeable VHF radio

Back in the day, we mounted our CB radios with slide-out mounts. There were contacts on the mounts for power, antenna, and external speaker. Maybe these mounts are still available.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

How much range do you need? If under about 5 miles, maybe you want a hand-held unit?

cymru

Seaman

The flat connectors look like they'll do the job. Many thanks for all replies.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Try this, Motorola Part number HLN8097 http://cgi.ebay.com/Quick-Disconnec...079?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588a7d4b17 You install it in your boat, power and antenna to the base plate which stays in your boat. Your Radio bracket then mounts to the slide portion of the removable bracket, all you do is grab the handle, slide the radio out of the base bracket and go. It may say its not compatible with your radio but thats BS you simply redrill the holes in the bracket to mount your radio bracket, change an antenna connector and your done. Buy a couple and you can move the radio to other boats your truck whatever!

NYBo

Admiral

That's the kind of mount I was talking about. Nice find.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

If you boat in SW, any of the quick slide mounts mounts will last a season at best.

Most good quality VHF radios come with waterproof connectors on the back of the unit. It takes me 30 seconds to remove mine from the boat.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

LOL I was like SW? I'm in Colorado! Thats pretty close to the South West!
Yeah I have ZERO Information about Salt Water Issues!!:D:D