Battery for 90HP Engine

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Battery for 90HP Engine

Id guess 500 CCA or better,
AGM or Optima if you got the cake for them.
I have 2 750 CCA Blue top Optima's. Never had any problems with them. They are deep cycle, not the best for starting, but they run the radio all day and still crank it up to go home.

robert graham

Admiral

The owner's manual for my 90HP Yamaha calls for a minimum cold cranking amps of 380Amps, but the starting batteries I buy from Autozone are a good bit stronger than that, but can't remember exactly what the CC Amps are without looking at it in the boat. The batteries are costing me about $65. It'll help your overall battery performance to keep it charged up with a good automatic charger, I like a 2 Amp overnight charge about once a month during the winter or when boat's not being used. Good Luck!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Any 24 series Marine Starting battery will work fine. If you have lots of electrical-consuming stuff, best get dual or a 27 series battery.

Borchik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you didnt mention the brand or year of the engine but that could change the recommendation. newer DI or EFI engines usually require more amps than plain jane 2 strokes. it also depends on what else you are running of the battery and how much space you have for one. if you are just starting the engine than a starting battery will do fine. if you are going to run some stuff then get a dual purpose battery. the series size, 24, 27, 29, etc is all about size, the larger the size the more reserve capacity the battery has. for most small boat applications a 24 is all you need or have room for but obviously the bigger the battery the more juice you will have to run other things.

As far as best bang for the buck for my money there is none better than a Deka and most battery tests done by magazines will back that up. I also like the gold series batteries at autozone, not the cheap ones but the expensive ones, they seem to hold up pretty well.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just have a regular car battery, either 650CCA or 750CCA can't remember which. For my 86 90HP Merc I-6.