Bying a used motor?

lockedandloaded

Seaman Apprentice
I'm looking at buying a used motor a 1998 50hp with TnT. Besides seeing it run and checking the compression, what else should I check. They want $950.00 for the motor, controls, oil tank, 18gal fuel tank, and two new batterys. Is this a fair price if it runs good? Yes I'm new at this. Thanks

'83Crestliner

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Bying a used motor?

Dosen't sound like that bad of a deal to me. So, you have seen it run? Was it on the water on a boat or on a stand it in tank or muffs? Is it a vro?

lockedandloaded

Seaman Apprentice

I haven't seen it run yet, going to look at it in the morning. It is VRO. It will be running in a test tank (garbage can). Any advice?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

See about getting a compression test and check the oil in the lower unit.:cool:

lockedandloaded

Seaman Apprentice

other then checking for water and metal in the oil is there anything else to look for? I have heard mix reviews on the Johnson VRO system is it something to avoid?

'83Crestliner

Seaman Apprentice

There is nothing really wrong with the vro system. Many people convert over to mixing the oil/gas themselves and disable the vro. My 84 rude has the vro part removed completely. I have heard people having problems with the system. People get tired of hearing the alarm go off or figure it is just more crap to worry about. As mine was already removed when i purchased it i cannot speak to personal exp.

Take Zephr's advice.

G DANE

Commander

Testing on a boat in water, iddle, and wot operation is the best, second testing in a tank with a testwheel giving realistic load, tells you the motor is cooling, shifting correct, not jumping out of gear and the ignition is ok. Testing in a bucket, tells you it can start and iddle. You can still check compression and lower unit oil, but I would be willing to pay more for a motor I knew was in order. However a boat test with a motor that sat long with plugged up carbs, is enough to ruin it. Everything here in life cant be free of risk.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

If possible run it on the water adnmake sure it does everything it is suppose to, minumum is hear it run and make sure it idles, don't go over 1000-1500 rpm without a load on the engine.

Before you start it crack the bottom drain plug on the lower to check for water, if it has sat for any length of timethe water,if any, will seperate out and be the first thing to come out btu you are looking for honey colored oil, milky indicates a water leak, not fatal but it will need work.

As far as the deal, if it is a good engine and everything checks out that is a steal, I would expect to pay that just for the engine, to get all the other stuff to is a real bonus.

lockedandloaded

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the input. Can't run it on a boat, they already mounted there new 90hp on the boat. I guess I will see what I can find out in the tank. Thanks again.

jonesg

Admiral

If they had replaced it with another 50hp I would be suspicious.
But the fact they upgraded power to a 90 , yeh now that makes sense.
If it checks out ok, I would go for it. Great price.

lockedandloaded

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Buying a used motor?

Re: Buying a used motor?

Thanks all, I bought it runs really great in the tank.Lower unit oil was clear of water, has 127 psi in top cly and 130 psi in the bottom. (Cold) Warm both are have 135 psi. Starts really easy.