deck paint

Seaman
Has anyone ever used Durabak paint (www.durabakcompany.com) this is a nonskid paint.I want to paint the floor on my boat.
if so can you tell me about your experience with it and did you like it. I am getting close to finishing my little Bayliner and don't want to put carpet back in. I just want to use the boat for fishing and at 55
don't want to worry about falling on my face and laying there for the day HA HA. Any info would be appreciated.

tboltmike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: deck paint

I haven't used the Durabak product.

Like you, I wanted to get away from carpet. Mine had Astro Turf (or something like it) from the factory which had rotted. I thought a paint system would be easier to keep clean and dry. I used a paint that goes on thick and has suspended rubber bits. I bought a quart can to experiment and it seemed to do what I wanted so I got a gallon.
I had a really hard time keeping the bits suspended during application and had difficulty getting an even texture distribution and consistant profile. It was not easy to roll as the roller wanted to slide.
I found that it would stain and imbed dirt. Althought it was easy to scrub and rinse, it never came color clean.
Ended up after a year put patio carpet in and not totally pleased with it as it does not come totally clean either.
This is the coating you can see in my avatar
May go full circle in a couple of years and put Astro Truf back in.

bear_69cuda

Commander

I used it on my Bayliner project... See link below my signature... The stuff is great! I would have top coated with smooth rather than 3 coats texture... I also added snap-in carpet...

tboltmike

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cuda,

When thru several pages of your restore, what a great job!

Now that is has been a year, sounds like you are still pleased with Durabak. Just curious if it has gotten really dirty, i.e tracked in mud, gas/oil/fish slime and allowed to dry? Does it clean well after such abuse?

Mike

Seaman

I looked at Hurry up - that was great! you did an unbelievable job on her. and after reading a ton of forums today I am going with the Durabak but will do like you say Bear one coat of text. and one or two of the smooth. I have a small boat (13'.6" Bayliner )so I may see if I can buy a qt. of text. and a gallon. of the smooth paint. That should do my boat and a little extra left over????

bear_69cuda

Commander

Durabak cleans very easy. I sold "SS Hurry Up" last year to a co-worker, and the deck paint has held up extremely well, no issues at all... I now have a Hurricane deck boat. Hurry Up II. Surface prep for Durabak is key before painting! If I did it again I would roll one thick coat of textured, followed by two coats of non-textured. Good luck!

Calc surface area and Durabak will advise paint volume needed...