Fuel pump consideration

series60

Chief Petty Officer
As I ponder the fuel pump requirements for my rebuild, given I will be using this boat offshore, I was wondering what folks (like me that are somewhat annul) would use. Electric over mechanical? Mechanical only? Block off the mechanical and go all electric and in this case what to do with carb overflow tube?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel pump consideration

the "card overflow tube" should be called the "card inflow tube" .Carries fuel from a ruptured diaphram TO the carb instead of the bilge.If using a elec pump disregard the hose

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... yer mechanical has been doin' the job for almost 30 years,... What's the question again,..??

series60

Chief Petty Officer

Ayuh,... yer mechanical has been doin' the job for almost 30 years,... What's the question again,..??

Sweet and to the point! Thanks Bond-o. Do they make'm that good today?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

I carried a outboard hose with the primer ball. If the pump should fail cut the line and it should get you home with someone pumping the ball.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you do decide to go against Bond-O's feelings (and mine) about the reliability of mechanical pumps and install an electric, make sure you also wire it with an engine OFF (as in no oil pressure), power ON safety switch to prevent the pump from filling the engine with fuel or to prevent the pump from feeding a fire after the engine dies. KABOOM and FIRE are not good things to have on a boat.