I know what my outboard is :-) :-) now next question

Yovi Bay

Cadet
A great forum helper has told me (given my serial number) that my outboard is a 50hp Oil injected Mercury 1988 3 cyl built in belgium.......

..... ok next silly question does that mean its a 2 stroke or 4 stroke and do i add oil to the fuel or to some oil only chamber in the engine itself ????

sorry if this is nieive........ also manual for the above would solve some of my answers i think, but given ive seen some manuals are from 1965-1989 does that mean they are all in there (different engines) or has the engine changed that little over that period?

Yovi Bay

Cadet
Re: I know what my outboard is :) :) now next question

might have answered my own question.

i found this site http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/mercuryOilInjection.html

but im still confissed. while im now sure have an oil injected motor means straight unleaded petrol and the oil injection system will add the oil, the way i read it is the engine itself has a small oil resivoir to add oil (WHICH I CAN"T FIND) and or i need to also have some kinf external tank (knid of like my petrol tank) that has just oil in it.???

any anyone know??????

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Good morning. Yes you have a 2 stroke motor. IF you can not find an oil tank to add the two stroke oil then you MUST pre-mix the oil and gas.

50:1 is the ratio 50 parts regular unleaded gas (petrol) to 1 part oil.

Some of the motors came with internal (under the engine cover) tanks and some came with external tanks. People would get frustrated by the oil tanks and refuse to repair them and convert the motor to pre-mix.

Yovi Bay

Cadet

cheers for the help.

i will take another look in the morning light. if it is internal should it be obvious with an obvious fill point, and again if internal would it hold a decent amount of oil.

if you can tell me what im looking for (to see if its internal) that would be great.

..............oh so much to learn :)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Look on the top of the cowl (cover) for a black rubber cap. Might look like a miniature hockey puck. If you see one, remove it and you will find your oil reservoir underneath. Word to the wise though, at that age there's a good chance the oil injection system has been disabled. If it's convenient, you might consider dropping by your local marine shop (call first of course) with your rig. They can quickly determine whether this is the case, and while you're there you can buy the oil you need. Best of luck.

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer

At some point that oil injection system will fail like any other component but when it does, it will starve your engine for oil and ruin your powerhead.

Most people take them off or disable them before that happens and just add oil to each tank of gas.

Cheap insurance imho.