Boat Project

Casper1!

Recruit
Below are pics of a boat that I am looking at. I could not find any markings on the boat to tell me what it is. It is setting on a Chrysler trailer and appears to be original. From looking at different information it appears as though it may be a tracer. The boat has no seats and there is no floor in the boat. Are these boats stable for family fishing on small lakes? How does the fiberglass hold up on older boats? Attached are pictures. Thanks

http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=72813&stc=1&d=1289531236

http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=72814&stc=1&d=1289531503

Attachments

• Boat Project Pics 005.jpg
    Boat Project Pics 005.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat Project Pics 002.jpg
    Boat Project Pics 002.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 0

drewpster

Commander
Re: Boat Project

It looks to be a do-able project based on the pictures. However it also looks like it has been in the weather for a long time. You are correct in assuming that fiberglass does not last forever. I would check the hull very well for deciding to rebuild it. You can used a mallet or a sounding hammer (plastic head) to tap around on the hull and detect bad spots. You should go in to it knowing that it will need to be pretty much completely rebuilt to get it back to usable. It is allot of work and money but it can be very rewarding.
The worst case would be if it has been sitting with standing water in it. But it is most likely going to need all new cores anyway. (transom, stringers, deck.....)
grindgrindgindgrind...glass....grindgrindgrind....sweat,pain,itch...grind...paint...sandsandsandsand......and so on.

findango

Cadet

Good morning Camper..
This boat looks like a worthy project.. nice lines, good flare on the bow so it will have a "dry" ride..
Before you get real deep into the project be sure to check out the transom and stringers for rot.. a lot of rot will change your job from refitting to one of rebuilding..

Don't worry about the fiberglass getting old and brittle..I've worked on a lot older boats without any problems.. of course you need to inspect it for any damage. Look closely along the keel and sides. Look for impact damage where it ran in to something that dented it or split the glass..
And I agree, be ready for a lot of cutting, grinding, sanding, glassing and curseing..
Good luck.

Casper1!

Recruit

I talked to the owner and was told that the trailer and boat are a factory pair. It had been used up until 2003 before it was parked in the elements (it was tilted up for the water to drain). The owner is looking for the title. When I pulled back the carpet there was nothing that looked like stringers for a floor. It was the bottom of the boat with marine carpeting covering it. The owner has offered it to me for free for just removing it from the property. From looking at different websites, it looks like it may be a Tracer (see below link). I have little knowledge of fiberglass and its durability. Would there still be some years of use out of this boat if it was used for small lakes? Would it be stable for 2 small kids to fish from and be able to stand and move about without fear of flipping? Could the bottom be painted as mentioned on other threads and used or would a floor be needed? Thanks for everyone's assistance.

http://www.chryslercrew.com/

(vee hull action model- Tracer Model Maybe?)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ok reality check! This thread will give you an idea of what a boat like this will need. This is a close match to the boat you are looing at.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=365820

I can almost gaurantee that the stringers and the transom and the motor will ALL need significant work along with the interior. I also notice that the windshield is missing and they are very hard to find for boats of this vintage. There is NO SUCH THING as a free boat. If you take this project on, you WILL have a minimum of 1,000 dollars invested in her before you are on the water. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to let you know what you are looking at. If you have the time, patience, and money then "Git er dun!!!"

I'm just sayin...:D

SKOOTCH

Seaman Apprentice

The birdhouse with the sock doll's head stuck in it...love it.

Looks like you're in for some fun! Great lookin' boat!

Remember: "The only thing that works on an old boat is the owner!"

Casper1!

Recruit

I was finally able to get the title and it is listed as a 1966 Sea Breeze and it is 16 feet long. From looking at the boat more closely it looks as through as it double walled fiberglass on the bottom. The previous owner has a home made seat screwed into the boat but it does not go through the boat. Is that something standard for that year? Thanks