65 evinrude 9.5 hp starter rewind prob

jbrow9.5hp

Cadet
Hi all,

I'm having a problem with my starter rewind. If the two mounting screws are tightened all the way down it will not rewind. If I loosen them it rewinds. Pretty sure they are supposed to be tight because the water flow gasket undernieth. Am I supposed to lubricate something? Do I have some kind of piece missing? I checked the parts catalog and put the starter back together the way the manual said...not sure whats going on. Anything will help. Thanks again for all your help.

Joel

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 65 evinrude 9.5 hp starter rewind prob

What manual do you have ? You may have something assembled incorrectly on the bottom of the spindel. It all goes together only one way.

jbrow9.5hp

Cadet

I have "1956-1970 Johnson/Evinrude Outboard Tuen-up and Repair Manual 1.5 HP thru 40 HP" by Joan and Clarence coles. I thought it was pretty good and indepth. It helped alot with the carb rebuild and the impeller replacement...Im at a total loss. I just tried putting some silicone lubricant on it and it didnt help at all.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Check Shop Evinrude.com and look at the parts break down for '68 9.5 starter. They only go back to '68 but same as yours. The only manual I'll ever use is the OEM one. By looking at that parts break down you may find something you missed.

johnevinrude

Cadet

The ciol spring gets dirty or weak,causes it to stick.take out and clean.maybe the point on the spring that goes in the bottom dorsent cauht right.

johnevinrude

Cadet

The ciol spring gets dirty or weak,causes it to stick.take out and clean.maybe the point on the spring that goes in the bottom dorsent cauht right. The starter assembly is a poor design!!

kbait

Commander

I worked on one of those 9.5hp recoils last year, and it was missing some recoil parts. Salvage sent me some parts that were wrong (length was different), I don't exactly remember what parts.. But they sent the right ones and it was good. I think they had a recoil mod in the run of that motor somewhere..
I worked on a 6hp (same recoil style) last month and it would tighten up like yours when the 2 top bolts were tightened. That one has no water passage involved, so I used a drop of locktite on each bolt (almost tight) and called it good (advising the customer of what I'd done). It worked fine, and I know it was assembled correctly. Don't know what the issue was??