98 Excel 175 SX purchase?

ckaiser

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone.

Got a line on a first boat. 98 Excel 175SX, 4.3 merc, alpha 1. Reasonable shape for the age, priced below NADA. Rural area, must sell, needs money. I took a first look at it recently. Found a few issues but nothing that seems serious.

Exhaust boot is torn all the way through although it was replaced this past summer. Looking into warranty on that, or I'll have to replace it.

Hydraulic trim line is leaking in the engine compartment, needs to be replaced. Any insight on that? Wonder if it's an age thing or something else. Might need to do both lines there?

The anodes are half to 3/4 gone. Is that normal or should I be looking for an underlying problem?

The interior is in decent shape, some parts have been replaced or recovered. I noticed that the carpet/liner in the side wells is peeling back from the sides at the top. Might that indicate any sort of problem? The fiberglass underneath seems solid. I assume some cleaning and regluing will take care of that?

There's a couple of scrapes on the keel that I assume should be covered over. Any thoughts on how to do that?

Engine runs good but is a bit hard to start cold; not enough fuel. starting fluid fires it right up. Choke closes but it's still cold-blooded. Runs a bit rough cold too. Smooth enough once it gets off idle or warms up. Might need a carb O/H which I can do.

As a retired auto mechanic, I can do most of the work myself. I'm planning a compression test and full function test later this week. Anything specific to look for?

What are your thoughts on this particular year/model? I want a fish/ski style for use on the Colorado river and Lake Mead/Mohave. Mostly fishing and some river running.
Oh; speaking of fishing, any comments on mounting a trolling motor?

Thanks!

Charlie
Kingman, AZ

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 98 Excel 175 SX purchase?

Congragulations on your new boat. First I would check fuel filter. The boat may have old fuel or moisture in the tank. If needed rebuild carb and tune up. Maintenance is the key to reliability. As for keel scrapes if you plan to trailer the boat a few scratches are common. If you plan to keep it in the water use a barrier coat bottom paint . Good luck:) As for the exhaust boot make sure exhaust manifold coolig is functioning properly. Replace zincs and any leaking hoses.

ckaiser

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I haven't bought it yet. :) That's why I'm asking all the questions...

Talked to the owner today and the guy who replaced the boot is going to be looking at it and hopefully fixing it tomorrow. I plan to be there when he does. They're also talking about replacing the trim hydraulic hose, although I might negotiate doing it myself for a price break.

I'll probably tune it up anyway just because that's what I usually do when I buy a vehicle. When I pull the plugs for a compression test, I'll decide whether to go pick up another set or if those are serviceable as is.

If it needs a carb O/H, I might wait and run it for a while first.

I hear ya on the gas and fuel filter. I had a can of gas at home for the pressure washer; maybe 2 gallons. It had been sitting since spring. I put it in the pressure washer and it wouldn't run. Realized my mistake and drained it and used fresh. Took some of the gas out of the can and I couldn't ignite it with a bic lighter. Scary how quick gas deteriorates these days.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like you have a good plan in place I have worked on these boats allot and found that good fuel additives and a lot of boat use can help with many hard start issues. Annodes are easily replacable and should be a easy fix. I would suggest a compression test before purchase. At least you will rest easy knowing that is within spec. The rest is relatively easy for most mechanics.

ckaiser

Seaman Apprentice
Bought the boat!

Bought the boat!

I bought the Excel. Got a chance to check it over thoroughly, and I know what I need to do on it. Basically I'm going to pull the outdrive and service it. With a little luck I can be on the water in a couple of weeks.

Will post photos soon.

Thanks for the info...

Charlie