1969 evinrude 6hp float orientation

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I do have a manual at home, but i wont be home for a few days and I have my carb apart now. Id like to know what the orientation of the float is.

with the carb upside down and the needle seat facing up....which side of the float faces UP

the side with the curved cut outs?

or the flat side?

as a note one side of the metal tab on the flpat has a protrusion...if you told me which way that faces, that would help me the same..

so the answer needs to be with the carb UPSIDE DOWN and the bowl off...

what part of the float faces UP?

thanks in advance

bob

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1969 evinrude 6hp float orientation

float hangs down, flat side up

mables

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The metal tab goes toward the needle and seat the flat part goes toward the carb body and the side with the curved cut outs face the bowl. Just clearing things up a bit.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

The metal tab goes toward the needle and seat the flat part goes toward the carb body and the side with the curved cut outs face the bowl. Just clearing things up a bit.

10fndqw.jpg

the float I have now, cant do that... the tab is pointing to the side with the cutouts, opposite the flat side....

but I just tried it upside down and i cant even get the bolw close to fitting up to the carb body....

so It appears the flat side faces the bowl, the curved side faces the carb body...

once my pictures load ill post a picture...

also i wonder if anyone knows why the 68 was the odd ball for the carb...

the carb kit list 1957-1979 excluding 1968

1968 is listed all by itself...

the kits dont look nothing like each other!!

bob

F_R

Supreme Mariner

One side of the float has a little tab. That tab contacts the rim of the needle seat to stop the float from dropping down too far. If you put it upside down, it will hinge way down and the needle will fall out.

mables

Petty Officer 3rd Class

68-69 was a strange year for evinrude I beleive, I have a 68 and none of the kites are for numerous years some of the kits like the impellor will work for a few year types but carb kits and points are all just for 68 or 68-69, and sorry for pointing you in the wrong direction about the cut outes the tab should always be pointing to the needle and seat as F_R said.

Willyclay

Captain

I have a 1973 Model 6302 which I believe is identical to yours. From the Reassembly of Carburetor Section in the factory service manual it says, "Turn carburetor body upside down so weight of float closes needle. Top of float should be even with rim of casting."

The float can only be installed one way and your picture looks correct to me. However, I have always understood "even with rim of casting" to mean parallel. Hope this helps!

EDIT: I do better with pictures so try the link below. It's not your model but very similar.

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...hnson 5.5 HP 1954-1964 Carburetor Tune-UP.htm

Last edited:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

here is a pixture of the float itself...it was replaced a year ago... i am reusing it.

14ifptj.jpg

thanks for the help

bob

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I have a 1973 Model 6302 which I believe is identical to yours. From the Reassembly of Carburetor Section in the factory service manual it says, "Turn carburetor body upside down so weight of float closes needle. Top of float should be even with rim of casting."

The float can only be installed one way and your picture looks correct to me. However, I have always understood "even with rim of casting" to mean parallel. Hope this helps!

as for the setting, to be even and level with the casting...I did a search before i posted( see aint i a good guy) and while i didnt find a picture of the float

i saw a thread where Joe Reeves suggest that the float be set just a tad higher on the outer side than level...so tilted up just a wee bit ..and thats what i beleive i have..

so basically the float lets just a little less fuel into the bowl before it shuts the supply off.

bob

Willyclay

Captain

i saw a thread where Joe Reeves suggest that the float be set just a tad higher on the outer side than level...so tilted up just a wee bit ..and thats what i beleive i have..bob

Thanks for sharing that Joe Reeves tidbit. I need to work on mine this winter so your timing is super. Good luck with yours!