How important is the carpet?

leeklm

Cadet
:confused: Replacing the floor in my 17ft lund with new plywood, which will be coated in epoxy & glass. The OEM carpet was similar to indoor/outdoor variety with some type of rubber backing and glued to the plywood. I do not want to replace all of the carpet in the boat, and the closest match I could find was artifiical grass carpeting from http://boatcarpetoutlet.com.

It arrived today, and looks like very "basic" stuff with stiff nylon backing. Based on the fact I am sealing the floor with epoxy & glass, does it really matter what type of carpet is used (other than wear factors)? I assume it is best to use a marine type glue to stick it to the floor?

Since I am going though this much work, I want a decent end result that will hold up well for at least 5+ years.

Thanks!

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: How important is the carpet?

It really is a matter of preference. I went with durabak and it was cool for the first month. I then realized how much sound deadening the carpet gave. I will be putting some back in over the winter.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

" How important is the carpet?"

It is absolutely the least important thing in the boat, in fact in a fishing boat there is no up side, only big negatives. I would never even consider putting it in any boat I own.

Not exactly what you asked, but just my opinion.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I kinda lean toward Ondarvar. But if you DO want carpet I would suggest you consider NOT gluing it but rather using Velcro to attach it around the perimeter. This way When not IF it becomes wet you can remove it and let it dry without the possibility of saturating the deck.

I'm just sayin...:D

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer

The home improvement stores have a good selection of indoor/outdoor carpet. When i got my boat, it had that plastic feeling, black carpet in it. That stuff was rough and hotter than heck on the feet! The new carpet i got feels great in bare feet...love it! The one thing i did not do, is use carpet adhesive...When i took my old carpet up, i found that the previous installer used GOBS of that adhesive...it was crazy trying to get the carpet up and then trying to clean all that goo off...you don't need adhesive because the seats and side panels and end moldings will hold the carpet in place...the floor will drain better and it will dry better...you can carpet it, but don't use adhesive!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Its a little know fact that carpet is the only material holding 90% of recreational boats together. If you are not putting carpet in your boat, think of suitable product that will hold up to the marine environment, such as marble and granite tile.

:D

Seriously, there are many alternatives for your already epoxy/glass coated floor:

- Another coat of epoxy with a non-skid product. Play sand, Comercial Grit, and other products can be mixed in the epoxy and applied as a top coat. Many comercial non-skid dry mix will have color additives.

- Paint. Plain old oil base deck paint with or without the non-skid additives.

- Marine sheet vinyl. Natolex is the most well know. Marideck is another big name.

jonesg

Admiral

Some of the things my boat will never see,
carpet, TV, stereo, BBQ, couches .. you get the idea.
Those are all the things used in mkting to hook non boaters into buying a boat.

Interdeck deck paint by interlux is a high quality non slip finish for glassed decks. 1 Qt will probably do the job.

Comoxsam

Seaman Apprentice

My boat gets so dirty inside after a day of use I can't imagine any pros for using carpet. I've heard people say that it's soft on their feet but that is about it.

IMO there are 3 places carpet should NEVER be:
1. Your kitchen
2. Your bathroom
3. Your boat

leeklm

Cadet

thanks for the replies. I understand the negatives of carpet in the boat, but for an occasioinal boater like me (and the kids), you cant beat carpet when out skiing, tubing, etc. I figured the original "grass" made it from 1983 until now, and the new floor should outlast the OEM floor...

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Another negative on using elcheapo carpet is its not cut pile. It's one continuous piece of thread and its looped together. You drop a fishing hook or a lure on the carpet its all over but the crying. Once you cut one of those loops it starts to unravel like a knit sweater...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

another downside of the el cheapo carpet is all the bits and peices/ fibers that come out of it..... they will collect in the bilge, clog the pump and hold moisture
If you are going to carpet it get GOOD soft pliable stuff.... grab the little sample peice at the home store and twist/fold it agressively. If stuff crumbles off skip it..... DON'T choose crappy carpet to match the old stuff... Instead if you aren't replacing it all (although I WOULD) get a neutral color that won't clash and go with it..... A job worth doing is a job worth doing right.

tallcanadian

Captain

Well, I guess I'll change the tone here. I DO like carpet. I put it in mine and would again. I do however, understand where the other guys are coming from. It may be a bit more maintenance. I used a marine adhesive and it's now been 3 full seasons and I have no complaints.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I agree on the Marine grade rubber backed carpet...( for most small decks ).

You should have Marine grade rubber backed..and the adheasive ..

There are 20 year old pontoon boats that are still standing strong on all of the carpet ( under the carpet is ply and is still ok to bond on these toons lol ).

It your choice.. and your call...

YD.

jonesg

Admiral

Aye but a pontoon doesn't have a bilge full of foam on the other side of the ply trying to rot the innards out of the hull.
Its a conspiracy.;)

leeklm

Cadet

just finished the project today. Ended up using the outdoor grass mentioned above. Looks good, but we will see how it holds up. Worst case scenario is that I replace it in a few years. I liked how well the epoxy & cloth turned out, much easier to use than the old fiberglass poly resin! The floor should definitely out last OEM!

tallcanadian

Captain

just finished the project today. Ended up using the outdoor grass mentioned above. Looks good, but we will see how it holds up. Worst case scenario is that I replace it in a few years. I liked how well the epoxy & cloth turned out, much easier to use than the old fiberglass poly resin! The floor should definitely out last OEM!

Any pictures of said work? We like to keep our knowledge base up to date.

PAS67Chevy

Recruit

Ive enjoyed reading all of your posts as Im recarpeting my bass boat and my trailer bunks this winter. Ive been going back and forth on what type and colors of carpet to use. I found this website and they seem to have both the boat carpet https://www.boatcarpetcentral.com/midnight-premium-boat-carpetand my trailer bunk carpet https://www.boatcarpetcentral.com/trailer-bunk-carpet

I decided to go with the rubber backed carpet and Im going to go with the thicker carpet (20oz.) From everything that Ive read it will last the longest on my boat.

Ive been reseaching for about a month now as Im questioning how long this winter project is really going to take me.

Ill keep you posted with some before and after pictures

Thanks