Lowrance X50 DS review

rpf1e11

Cadet
I'm looking for a reasonably priced, basic depth finder and am considering a Lowrance X50 DS. Anyone had any experience (good or bad) with this particular model?

backyard mechanic

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Lowrance X50 DS review

Not an exact match to yours but the X(??) model DS was a problem on my buddies boat and my Eagle Lowrance DS is acting up (intermittent boot up). They told me it's outdated and they won't fix it. Here's the beef... Lowrance will not fix any unit once out of date. You're on the hook for a new one should it go bonkers.

As for their equipment; it's OK as long as it works. When it quits you can't get any help from their service department. Not my kind of electronics outfit. I'll be looking for a Garmin to replace my outdated Lowrance DS. Garmin has been VERY helpful with 5 year old stuff and they go the extra mile to make sure your unit works right. That's customer service!

My buddy is saying he's going to Furuno for DS. I think they are too spendy but then again, they are a commercial grade machine. I'm in favor of Garmin for GPS and come around the Sportsman show I'll be looking hard in their direction to see if their DS are as good as their GPS units.

Lowrance is progressive and the view looks good but their service department really needs a swift kick. Too bad... they do have some new stuff that looks interesting.

Too bad for them, they are not going to get my business again.

Jerry Moore

rndn

Commander

I know of two people who were told by Lowrance they do not repair the units once a new model is released. They will offer a small discount off of the full retail price of a new replacement, but in both instances we found a cheaper price by searching the web without the discount.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I know of two people who were told by Lowrance they do not repair the units once a new model is released.

And they release a new model every couple of months it seems.