winter blues

pole position

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It was a sad day today as we pulled my 33 Executive out and blocked her up in my yard.I powerwashed the bottom and winterized the engines and generator,etc. Now the fun begins as I need to rebuild or replace both motors. Thank you ethanol fuel.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Re: winter blues

Just put mine to bed too this afternoon. Spring looks a long ways off right now. Try looking at it positively....you GET to rebuild or replace your motors! Makes it sound like more of an adventure.

As for the ethanol, some people here seem not to mind it, but when a Ford Dealership mechanic says "do not put that crap in your car" I listen. Unfortunately it's almost impossible to avoid now.

Good luck with the motors, hope it's a short winter

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Ethanol sucks, but if it makes you feel better I knocked 4 inches of snow of my boat tonight!

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

I put mine away after the first frost we had, I drive over the road so I have to do what I can when I get the time to do it.

Well wouldn't you know it, 5 days later it was in the 80's and stayed well above 50, so I kinda got screwed out of about a months boating/fishing time.

Maybe next year i will just put ski's on it

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I put mine away after the first frost we had, I drive over the road so I have to do what I can when I get the time to do it.

Well wouldn't you know it, 5 days later it was in the 80's and stayed well above 50, so I kinda got screwed out of about a months boating/fishing time.

Not sure about you Sixmark but here in Colorado our fall was an anomaly, record warm temps(Killed my Bow Elk season), I hear you I second guessed winterizing for a month but when the water temp dipped below the wifes comfort level it was time anyway!!

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

Yep, got everything winterized in 40 degree high wind weather & now today thru the next 5-6 day's it's going to be in the upper 60's to low 70's. The weather jackhole here never said this was coming, watched the news yesterday. ?? Anyway, Thinking, screw it. I might splash it & run it for the next 4 or 5 days & re-winterize.:D

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Why am I the only one that hasn't run into any problems with using Ethanol laced fuel? I'm hoping it's not just a matter of time. I burn through over a thousand gallons a year, but no issues (yet).

Also...just to rub it in...high of 80 all week here...:redface:

Dave Barnett

Petty Officer 1st Class

The blues have struck here too. I winterized my motor then the temps started hitting the high 70's.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

I got out on that 80 degree day, not another soul on the lake, it was incredible. Would have gotten out Sunday when it was 65 but had to replace the car alternator. Winterized last night but if it's in the 60's this weekend again I just may have to unwinterize.

themaniam1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Snowed Monday and snow showers today and the rest of the weekend only in the 40s. Our season is very much over unless I head south to Lake Powell. Remember that all our weather will eventually head east.

jfadool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why am I the only one that hasn't run into any problems with using Ethanol laced fuel? I'm hoping it's not just a matter of time. I burn through over a thousand gallons a year, but no issues (yet).

Yea, never had an issue with my parents 1980 70hp Johnson, 2 9.9 jonnyrudes, 2 15 jonnyrudes, or a 35 jonnyrude. Also my 2 carbed motorcycles, 64 rambler, Ford ranger, or Honda civic.

Never used a single additive, other than oil in the smokers. The little outboards are used by a rowing team on the coaching launches, 5 days a week except for the summer. Yea we use a lot of fuel, and a lot of ethanol in it.

The issue is that people don't burn the fuel when they get it, it sits in tanks for weeks/months and collects condensation. This is what kills the fuel and causes unreliable engines.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

'96 Bow Rider with a Mercruiser 5.7LX (4 brl carb). Never had an issue. But fuel never sets for more than 30 days without treatment.

pole position

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fuel was treated with stabil marine formula and it's hard to burn all the fuel when you carry 380 gallons. I kept it around half full most of the season except when we went on a long trip this year and she was empty when put away last year. I guess sometimes bigger isn't always better.