87 Four Winns Horizon 190 Prop

87-4winns

Recruit
Needs some help, I bought a 1987 Four Winns Horizon 190 this summer and would like to replace the nicked prop. The boat is a I/O with a 4.3L Mercrusier engine. I can't seem to find out exactly what the horsepower is, therefore can't find out exactly what replacement prop I should buy.
Any help with specs would be appreciated

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: 87 Four Winns Horizon 190 Prop

If your current prop has always performed to meet your expectations, then just replace it with the same one you have. The pitch and diameter is marked on the hub.

If you don't like the one you have now, post your speed / rpm data and someone here can recommend a better size.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Near as I can tell there are 3 versions 175,185,205.
But prop size would depend on the application. Your prop size should be under the prop nut or on the barrel of the prop.As suggested if you like it stick with the size you have.Now is the time to tweak your setup.tell us your present prop size and max rpm and speed.Describe your hole shot and any points you would like to improve.

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class

The other alternative is to get the prop fixed. A lot cheaper than a new prop and you won't be able to tell the difference between the repaired and new if you take it to a reputable place.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Needs some help, I bought a 1987 Four Winns Horizon 190 this summer and would like to replace the nicked prop. The boat is a I/O with a 4.3L Mercrusier engine. I can't seem to find out exactly what the horsepower is, therefore can't find out exactly what replacement prop I should buy.
Any help with specs would be appreciated

ESSENTIAL DATA REQUIRED
When posting a question about propellers, you cannot get a reasonable answer unless you provide the following information in your post: Items 1-4 are essential for meaningful response to most questions.
1) Performance issue you are trying to correct.
2) Current prop manufacturer, model, aluminum or stainless as a minimum.
3) Current prop diameter and pitch (required).
4) Wide open throttle RPM and speed with an average load (very helpful)
5) Engine/drive make, model, year, and HP
6) Boat make model, year, length and weight

There needs to be a starting point..simply said follow the above as close as you can and thats the start....if the motor has a 2bl carb its probably a 190 4bl carb or efi 205-220

87-4winns

Recruit

Thanks for everyone's reply.

I did locate some numbers on the prop;

On the hub - 48 78120 A40 19P

Behind the nut - 4878 120 19

Can anyone tell me how to read these?

Lastly, what should be the engine horsepower for a 1987 4.3L Merc engine?

Thanks everyone.

John

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for everyone's reply.

I did locate some numbers on the prop;

On the hub - 48 78120 A40 19P

Behind the nut - 4878 120 19

Can anyone tell me how to read these?

Lastly, what should be the engine horsepower for a 1987 4.3L Merc engine?

Thanks everyone.

John

As stated, best idea is to have your current one repaired. Else, buy an identical to the one you have if it performs to your liking.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-P...at_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item4cf306a77e

If you're not happy with the current prop before damage, answer the questions from Tail_G and we'll point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

cbavier

Lieutenant

I had a 1986 Four Winns Horizon 190 with a 4.3 Mercruiser and Alpha one. It came with a 19 but I was switched as a spare to a 21. I tried the 21 and it seemed to work much better. Mich Wheel can tell you the correct one. (The size that came with the boat stock). Your owners manual will list the correct one and give you some options such as the 21. Of course I let the manuals go with the boat when I sold it last June.