Looking for a battery

hoytvectrix

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking for a good marine deep cycle battery. I'm tired of buying those cheap ones from wal mart lasting only 2 years. I was wondering what heavy duty, reliable battery should i buy? just need it to start motor, run trolling motor, nav lights and radio. I'm going to buy 2 battteries

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Looking for a battery

I've had those WalMart batteries last five years or longer. There may be a problem with how you're caring for them. For example, running them down too far and leaving them discharged will greatly reduce the lifespan of any lead-acid battery.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Agree with NYBo. If you are only getting 2 yr from a Marine Maxx deep cycle there is something you are doing that will shorten the life of any DC battery.

I have seen them last as long as 7 years and always at least 5 unless abused.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I noticed one the things you use your deep cycle batteries for is "starting the motor". Not knowing how big your engine is, this may be one of the issues in short battery life. Deep Cycle batteries are not intended for engine starting duty. "Starting" batteries or "Dual Purpose" are intended for that duty. If you have a small - medium sized outboard that will not be an issue. If you have to crank the engine (regardless of size) for long periods, that will kill a deep cycle. So I agree with the others. Battery life depends a great deal on how they are treated and maintained. If you are not using a smart charger, the charging process and the charger itself can be the issue.

starcraft1982

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was going to comment on this earlier,but i got sidetracked deer hunting.Anyways,the others beat me to it.The wal mart batteries have served me and many others I know very well.My dads 3 batteries are 4yrs old and still going strong.My batteries are newer,but no problems w/my three.My cousins 2007 ranger z21 came w/the "expensive"batteries.Lasted 3yrs.All replaced this yr w/wal mart batteries.I guarantee theyll last him just as long and serve him just as well.A good on board charger is a must.Just plug in when you get home and unplug when you get ready to go.I `ll take a stab and say youre running it too low before charging.Starting takes alot of juice.Add trolling motor?,depth finder,radio,lights,etc and you really need more than one battery(imo and depending on actal situation as to what you use and how much).Anyways,buying 2 sets of wal marters is still less than those expensive ones AND easy return if you have problem.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

What brand you buy is of far less importance than the "AHr capacity" of the battery. Always buy the largest capacity battery you have room for and your budget allows. You cannot have too large a battery, just one that is too small. As was suggested earlier, you really need two batteries -- one "marine starting" for the engine and instruments, and a "marine/rv deep cycle" for the troller. An on-board charger (two bank) would solve the charging issues. You simply plug in at the dock and the batteries are always topped off.

hoytvectrix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've never ran the batterys completely dead, and I also keep them on a battery tender, 2 amp trickle charger while not in use. Any other way to keep a battery living longer? The engine I'm starting is a 50hp.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I'm not going to agree or disagree about using Deep cycles batteries to start a motor but I'll share my experience with the practice.

I use two grp. 27 deep cycle batteries to power and start the boat.
The first battery is going on season 7. I replaced the second battery last season becouse it barely based the load test. I figured I would just go ahead and replace it while I had it out of the boat.

I don't have an onboard charger on either battery. The batteries are charged entirely via the output of the motor. Once a month or so I?ll put the battery charger on them if the boat is at home, otherwise I do nothing out of the ordinary to take care of them.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Small engines can get by with a deep cycle as a starting battery. Having said that, if the engine must be cranked for long periods due to lack of maintenance or improper starting procedure, that can do in a deep cycle.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I noticed one the things you use your deep cycle batteries for is "starting the motor". Not knowing how big your engine is, this may be one of the issues in short battery life. Deep Cycle batteries are not intended for engine starting duty. "Starting" batteries or "Dual Purpose" are intended for that duty.
Using a deep discharge battery to supply a lot of current starting a motor will have zero effect on its life. The fact is that the deep discharge battery can not deliver the current because it has less plate surface area. Its going to put out as much as it can but the life of the battery will not suffer because of it.

The main reason batteries don't last long is that they are either discharged too far(greater than 50% capacity) multiple times or they are not stored fully charged at all times.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

A deep cycle battery will not be harmed when use as a starting battery.
Deep cycle batteries have thicker plates so it will have fewer plates than a starting battery that has thinner plates.
With fewer plates it can not deliver as much current as a starting battery so
if you have a big engine it may not be able to turn it over.
A 50 hp will not need much current to start so a deep cycle works fine.

I believe most batteries do not die but they are killed by their owners.

Never discharge a starting battery below 80 percent or a deep cycle below 50 percent.
Fully recharge as soon as possible, and never leave it discharged.
The longer it is discharged the shorter it life will be.
Know that all batteries self discharge and the warmer it is the faster they discharge.
In summer batteries must be charged one time a month and in winter every other month is fine.
If you have a bilge pump or radio draining the battery then it will need to be charged more often.

Do not use a trickle charger to charge it.
Get a Smart charger, Automatic charger, On board charger, or 3 Stage charger and let battery fully charge at the end of each use.
In winnter or long term storge a battery maintanier or float charger will work.
Manual charger and trickle chargers should not be used unless you have a good volt meter and know how to use it to make sure battery is fully charged and not over charged.

I have two batteries on my boat and no battery has lasted less than 6 years But both are charged on the water with my I/O?s 65 amp alternator thru a battery isolator.
When I get home I hook up my Automatic 10 amp battery charger and charge both batteries thru the same battery isolator.
Then I unload the gear and fish and clean the fish. Then I cover the boat.
Last I check the battery charger to make sure batteries are fully charged before disconnecting.
Most time my batteries are full charged in less that 10 minutes but I do not have a electric trolling motor to run down the deep cycle very far.
Deep cycle run all the electronics.