Water in oil - leaking manifolds?

woody619

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's a Chevy 350 w/ Pre Alpha out drive.

The engine starts and runs. We found out it has has water in the oil.

I'm waiting on a trim pump to come in (so we can lower it and start it without messing anything up), before we start working on the engine.

I'm really a newbie to all this, but i just want to confirm if what I think is true to see how I go about working on the engine.

But can these manifolds, which you guys said are shot. Be a possibility of why there's water in the oil? We plan on doing leak down tests. But I just want to make sure we're working on it the best way (planning).

I plan on:
  1. Fixing Trim
  2. Leak Down
  3. Manifolds
  4. Maybe Head Gaskets, if need be

Does that sound like a good plan?

I know the odds are, that I have a cracked block... but wanna confirm first...

Also, if I had to change out the heaadgaskets, would we have to pull the engine out of the boat? Could we do it while it's still in there?

Thanks for all your help guys...

IMG00316-20101016-0843.jpg

IMG00317-20101016-0844.jpg

IMG00274-20101007-1734Small-1.jpg

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water in oil - leaking manifolds?

I know the odds are, that I have a cracked block... but wanna confirm first...
Howdy,

You're wasting your time doing anything BUT a pressure check of the block.

If you wanna confirm that you DON'T have a cracked block, do a pressure check.

You already know you're going to replace the manifolds.

Regards,

Rick

woody619

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Will do that first then... is that the same as a leak down test? i just want to make sure i buy all the tools at the same time. (if it's not a leak down tester, is it oil pressure tester?)

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... A Leak-down Test, tests the valve sealin', 'n ring sealin'...

A Block Pressure Test tests the motor's Cooling Jacket's integrity...

Oil Pressure is Just that....

woody619

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So all I need to buy is leak down tester? Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

So all I need to buy is leak down tester? Thanks

Ayuh,... Only if you wanta to a leak-down test...

It has NOTHING to do with a Cracked block...

A leak-down tester measures pressures in the 100lb.Plus neighborhood...
A Block cooling system pressure test is done in the 5 to 15psi range...

woody619

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Bondo. Can you guide me in the direction to do it? I have a Chevy 350 w/ Pre Alpha outdrive.

I did a search and found an article that don s explained, but his diagram picture isn't there anymore...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=50361&highlight=pressure+test+inboard

Does it involve getting deep and taking the engine apart? If so, I'll take it to the mechanic... but if it's just buying a certain gauge and closing off some hoses I want to give it a try. Also can you recommend the gauge for me to pressure test it? The cooling one's i'm finding look like it's for a radiator.

Thanks again

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

if it's just buying a certain gauge and closing off some hoses I want to give it a try.
It's exactly that!

Just go to Home Depot and/or an auto parts store and get yourself some heater hose and suitable fittings etc to plug off the block and connect your air compressor.

Use any gage that has up to about a 20-30psi max scale (so you can read it easily.)

Get a simple valve so after you pressure it up, you can easily close it off and check for leaks. Use soapy water to slosh on your connections so you ensure that they don't leak.....

The block should easily hold 15-20 psi indefinitely.

btw, most autoparts stores sell rather inexpensive 15psi (fuel pressure) gages and that would work just fine.

Take pictures so you can share!!

Cheers,

Rick

rwoodruff

Cadet

I have a similar problem. I just picked up an 81 charger with and merc 3.0 inboard. I was told when I bought the boat that the engine was solid. It runs well and starts easy, but there is deffinetly water in the oil. Big disapointment. It dosnt have any signs of cracks or leaks from the outside of the block. Let me know how your block pressure test works out I am very curious to what you did and how well it works. I would love to fix this boat but cant afford a new or rebuilt motor:(

Does the condition of the head gasket or heads matter when doing this test?

Has anyone ever heard of someone trying a block sealer of some kind?

Robert,
IL

woody619

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll keep you posted. Same thing happened here. We were told engine's solid. First 6 months we working on the trailer. The mechanic tells us to empty out the old gas before we take it to him, while we're down there I pull out the dipstick and find the milky oil. Who buys a boat and doesn't check the oil? I did. Sh!t stupid of us... too excited first boat owners... Now we're paying for it... literally. And we've never been in the water...

zbnutcase

Commander

I have a similar problem. I just picked up an 81 charger with and merc 3.0 inboard. I was told when I bought the boat that the engine was solid. It runs well and starts easy, but there is deffinetly water in the oil. Big disapointment. It dosnt have any signs of cracks or leaks from the outside of the block. Let me know how your block pressure test works out I am very curious to what you did and how well it works. I would love to fix this boat but cant afford a new or rebuilt motor:(

Does the condition of the head gasket or heads matter when doing this test?

Has anyone ever heard of someone trying a block sealer of some kind?

Robert,
IL

Really need to start your own thread, will get more replys! And welcome aboard!