Jagid's 1973 Glastron V-164 Bayflite rebuild thread

Jagid

Cadet
Recently, I finally received the wife?s blessing (permission.. whatever?.) to get a boat.

After a lot of looking, I stumbled across a 1973 Glastron V-164 Bayflite. She has a Volvo Penta Aq130 with a 270 outdrive. Her hull is in decent condition, a few chips and scratches. Her interior was in decent condition, most of the vinyl still good, seats good, seat boxes good, new canvas, floor pretty solid, but she had some ugly carpet that was coming up. She ran strong, shifted easily, and she was mine.

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b474/Geologyst1/1289249297.jpg

After a few weeks of sunning her in the in-laws driveway, I finally had a chance to drag her home, and stuff her in the garage (much to the wife?s dismay, as she somehow thought she got to park in there after I cleaned it out).

I had decided by now, that some minor renovations needed to be made to the boat, mostly cosmetic, and one or two practical. The wife wants a boat to run around the lake in, and I want one that can be fished from, so a little rearrangement of seats and boxes, maybe a livewell, some minor hull repair, and some paint, and life would be good!

Full of new-boat-owner excitement, I got straight to work:

Canvas and bows. Check. Came right out.
Seats. Check. Over the side.
Awesomely ugly 70?s secretion colored vinyl. Check. Over the side with that too.
Vinyl covered dashboards. Check. Set them aside for later.
Vinyl side panels.. check.. again, saved for later.
Bloody vomit colored replacement carpet.. Over the side too (big pile over there).

And then I saw it. (actually I saw it as I was ripping up the carpet, but it makes for a better story if I wait till now to see it.) There was something odd about the floor. The floor was a nice, grey old plywood floor, covered with fiberglass using a green colored resin.. Except for the middle of the floor.. A 3? wide trapezoid in the forward half of the floor was obviously not original.. it was bright shiny and new (relatively).

Now, I am not saying that I am a genius or anything like that. I did however weigh my huge amount of knowledge and experience (having been a boat owner for all of a couple of weeks) against my skills (next to none) and decided that this needed a closer look.

Confident in my abilities to destroy anything, I whipped out my skillsaw (I figured the chainsaw would be a bit cumbersome). Having faithfully lurked on these very forums under several guises over the years, I knew that the floor was ?? to ?? ply, so I set my blade to a depth of just over ?? and started in. I discovered in a relatively short amount of time, that a skillsaw isn?t exactly the best tool for this job, but if you happen to have a skillsaw, and a jigsaw, and a sawsall and a rotozip tool, you can make pretty short (hahahaha) work of a floor.

So, there I was, demolition complete. I did learn a few things:

1. a 1973 Glastron V-164 Bayflite has 3 stingers
2. all three of mine are in need of replacement
3. the way that the previous owner did it? is not the correct way

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b474/Geologyst1/1289248511.jpg

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b474/Geologyst1/1289248221.jpg

More to come......

-j

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Jagid's 1973 Glastron V-164 Bayflite rebuild thread

Well I gotta admit I knew how this story would end before I finished reading it :p You aren't the first nor the last. Sharp looking boat! Good luck with your project.

Jagid

Cadet

OKay,

Now that I have established the situation with the Glastron, I have a few questions.

I cut into the floor for exploratory reasons, and found the condition of the stingers to be bad. One was completely gone (just mulch) from the front all the way back to within a foot or so of the transom. (this is the one that had been "partially replaced" by the previous owner.

The other two are solid, but dark and wet, and the fiberglass has delaminated from the wood, so I plan to tear them out too. no sense in doing half the job.

Now, the deck is mostly gone, but the engine and sterndrive are still in the boat, and the cap is still on.

So.. (I apologise if this question has been asked and answered many times)

can I uncap the boat with the engine still in it? would I need to block the sterndrive to try and relieve stress placed on the hull from the removal of the cap?

I want access to that portion of the deck that is behind/under the cap at the stern of the boat (about 2 feet) so that I can do a thorough job on the deck and stringers. I plan on only dealing with one stringer at a time, beginning with the outside stringers.

I think that I can accurately place the stringer being replaced by measuring the distance between the center stringer and the existing stringer on the other side. By cutting some 2x4s to match the span, I thought i could use pipe clamps to hold the new stringer to the center stringer (withthe 2x4s in between) which i thought ought to hold the new stringer in the correct position while i fillet and glass the new one in place...

Thanks for the input!

-j

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I would remove the motor. I think your fear of the weight of the motor distorting a cap-less hull is a sound one. Also, you're going to have to grind out and replace the motor mounts and probably the transom anyway which you'll want to pull the motor for.

Jagid

Cadet

for the sake of arguement..

I have to believe, that in the long history of inboard boats, that somebody somewhere has left the motor in while doing a deck/stringer repair...

I realize that it might not be the smartest way to do it, and I have seen post here on iboats listing as leaving the motor in as one of the top 10 mistakes people try to make. but if a guy had to do it, limited resources, space blah blah) how would one go about it?

or, on a different hand.

is it possible to cut away that part of the cap that forms the stern wall of the cabin area without significantly reducing the structural integrity of the cap? This would allow access to that part of the deck which extends underneath it to the transom, and also the stringer below deck.

For clarification:

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b474/Geologyst1/Glastron.png

is it feasable to cut away that portion of the cap that forms the back of the stern two seats?

-j

Jagid

Cadet

OK. having decided that my previous post just made me a whiny little somethingoranother complaining about the amount of work i had to do, I decided to suck it up.

cap should be coming off this weekend, outdrive and motor to follow.