Evinrude 150 Spitfire

mikeasb

Cadet
I have a 1992 Evinrude Spitfire 150 hp on a 1979 Chaparral 21' Cuddy Cabin that I am in the process of refurbishing. The boat originally was equipped with a 1979 200 hp Evinrude and was repowered in 1992 with the 150 Spitfire. I bought the boat with the engine "blown" and have determined that the #2 cylinder on the port side is indeed destroyed (I can push a magnetic probe through the piston into the crankcase and bring out pieces of bearings, etc). My initial thoughts were to repower with a newer used/reman motor, but my local marine mechanic said that I would be money ahead to rebuild the motor I have. I really don't know much about this motor. The mechanic says that this motor is "stronger" than the older 200 hp Evinrudes and would be worth rebuilding, he says he can do it for about $2500. I have no idea if this is enough power for this boat (plan to cruise, no water sports) or if this is a motor worth rebuilding. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 150 Spitfire

The 150 is the a next generation engine compared to the 200 crossflow. The 150 engine is propshaft rated as compared to the older 200 which was crankshaft rated. The 200 of yesterday would probably compare at 185 hp vs today's 150 hp. That is still a (35 hp) significant difference. Despite that difference, the 92 is a compact, 60 degree block. It is a torquey engine and has improved fuel economy over the older 200 crossflow. It is quieter and has some nice features, like optical ignition, automatic oil injection (no more mixing of the oil/gas) and has the fuel primer for cold starting. The engine would also have Quickstart and SLOW, both features that have come out since 1979. They have a vapor separator which the 79 did not. These 60 degree powerheads have an excellent reputation overall. Compare the cost to overhaul with the price of a new 150 and that may help with your decision. I'd ask around for a reference on the mechanic's work and also ask what warranty comes with the overhaul.

Last edited:

mikeasb

Cadet

Thanks for the good info. It's difficult to find good used 200hp motors here in the middle of Kansas, so I would have to travel a fair distance with all of the expense involved with that (probably to the Gulf coast) and the motors that I see are in the $3000.00 and up range not including installation and rigging, new controls, etc. I have had some minor work done by this mechanic in the past (tune ups, etc) but nothing major. Most people consider him a good mechanic but a little pricey. But there is only one other shop within 50 miles and I have had work done at the other one and will not go there again. There is a shop in Topeka (50 miles) that I have heard good things about, I will check with them. Thanks again for your reply. I feel a little better about the motor that I have.

jonesg

Admiral

Thats not pricey depending if you just replaces the bad cyl or do all 6.
Around Boston its $3600 for 6 cyl's, includes boring out, new piston/rings etc.

DIY the parts bill is $1000, then machine shop fees to bore them out.
http://www.powerheadkit.com/johnson.htm
You need to discover why the engine blew to prevent the repeat.