Battery Placement

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Funny how one things turns into another, I want to add a windshield to my dual console 18' aluminum boat. As long as I'm doing that I figured I'd fix the consoles....which leads to redoing the front casting deck, and part of the floor. So as long as I'm at it......

My question is, now I have 1 trolling motor battery up front and the starting battery about 2 feet up from the transom. I have no problems with getting on plane, boat seems to float well, but is there any logic to moving the back battery up in the front where I could build a nice storage area for both batteries side by side? The current rear storage would be great for easy access to lifejackets etc if there wasn't a battery there.

If I put both in front it would be right next to the controls and probably 10 feet from the motor.

Is there any problem with setting the batteries right on the aluminum below the false floor, should I put some sort of rubber to insulate/reduce vibration?

dockwrecker

Lieutenant
Re: Battery Placement

The batteries are going to take a lot of pounding further up in the bow so building a very secure mounting box is a priority. I'd put a rubber pad under them also. I don't think having the batts forward and centered like you intend is going to give you any planing problems. Your eyes may bug out a bit when you see how much 10' of battery cable costs though!

sublauxation

Lieutenant

The batteries are going to take a lot of pounding further up in the bow so building a very secure mounting box is a priority. I'd put a rubber pad under them also. I don't think having the batts forward and centered like you intend is going to give you any planing problems. Your eyes may bug out a bit when you see how much 10' of battery cable costs though!

Cost is another fear, I've got a set of heavy duty jumper cables I was considering cannibalising. Technically they're not marine grade but in freshwater can that really make much difference?

The current battery cables are about 4 ft longer than what I need, so I'd only be adding about 6 feet of length, any worry about amps/voltage drop?

fishrdan

Admiral

I wouldn't place the batteries directly on the aluminum as the acid can it. Use some boxes or trays.

What gauge of wire are the jumper cables, fine wire cable? I don't think you will have any problems if it's quality wire,,, and the terminations are sealed up water tight. IE; liquid tape and heat shrink tubing or just adhesive lined heat shrink tubing.

BTW, I have jumper cables in my boat, used then a couple times without problems. But, I wouldn't hack them apart for the trolling motor, wire strands too thick, pretty cheap wire.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Don't splice battery cable! Just asking for problems! I don't think I'd rely on what I see most jumper cables use for wire. Go to your local electrical supply or welder's supply and get 00.SO cable made up to length with proper ends put on. Then heat shrink wrap the ends. Cheapest route I can think of.

fishrdan

Admiral

If you are going to spend the money, genuinedealz.com is the best place to get that cable for the trolling motor. They sell tinned marine grade wire pretty darn cheap, can crimp up and heat shrink the terminations (if you know exactly what length of cables you need) and offer 2-3 day shipping for free.