Sick of Plastic Prop

Mercerman

Cadet
I have a 9.9 force outboard which came with a Composite (plastic) prop on it Part number FP6477 (8x9.25x3 10 spline). I would really like to get an aluminum prop for it. At one time there was a FP472 alum that would fit it and Michigan Wheel used to make one Part #72122 (8x9x3 10 spline). Does anyone know how I might be able to locate one of these no longer made aluminum props?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sick of Plastic Prop

I would watch Ebay,check the prop shops and marinas in the area, may have a stray on the shelf or a repair that wasn't picked up.Odds may be against it but watch the local swap sheet or craigs list.
A friend had a McCulloch built Sears 14 and found 2 used props at the same prop shop.

fishrdan

Admiral

SS nailed it, keep your eye on Ebay.

I'm watching for a 5-6 pitched prop for my 7.5HP Force (Gamefisher) and have seen several stock 8x9 aluminum props pop up. I almost snapped up one that was NOS, buy-it-now for $25, but I didn't need it.

So what's wrong with your composite prop? Mine seems to work fine on my 7.5HP.

Mercerman

Cadet

The composite one works great - until you bump a rock. I use it mostly for salmon fishing on the Umpqua River in Oregon where there is always a chance of hitting bottom. Last rock bump took a good chip out of one blade and cracked the center hub. At over $100 for a plastic prop it gets expensive. An aluminum prop would have only got a small ding and repair would be easy.

Yes a nice river boat with a jet pump would be nice also, but I'm not rich and have to use what I got.

dbuffington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would watch Ebay...

I've owned several vintage motors and have been able to find props for all of them on eBay, BUT you have to be imaginative with your searches.

Often, the person selling the prop just doesn't know what motor it was intended for and may not even have a complete part number. So I'd end up searching for fragments of the maker's or Michigan Wheel's part number.

It's always been tedious, but it has always worked. Good luck!