1960 Evinrude 10hp Sportwin, wants to run

wazup

Recruit
My Old Evinrude (mod.10020) runs great high and low rpms as long as I keep squeezing the primer bulb on the gas hose every 10 seconds or so. It gets gas starved and quits when I don't. Is this a fuel pump issue? Also, I don't know if it's related but I replaced the original gas hose that did not have an in-line primer bulb with one that did. Could I have caused this fuel problem? Thanks for any assistance!!

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 1960 Evinrude 10hp Sportwin, wants to run

Sounds like fuel pump, pump it up and pull the line going to the carb, see if it pumps and you'll know right away.

wazup

Recruit

Thanks, I'll try to locate one. Could the gas hose change have created anything like a loss of pressure / draw in the line??

kbait

Commander

Are you referring to a 2-line pressure system? If the connector has 3 prongs, you do, and an in-line bulb wouldn't work-other than to fill the carb bowl, as it has no fuel pump. The theory with those is that the motor pulses air into the tank, creating pressure over the fuel, and the fuel is pushed into the carb when the float valve opens, keeping the bowl full.
If you have a fuel pump system (single line fuel tank), then you either have a faulty pump, or a leaky fuel line connection from tank to carb, or perhaps a plugged pickup screen in the fuel tank.
Good luck.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

60 10hp had a pump, test it first don't just go out and buy one.

RedbaranTX

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I'll try to locate one. Could the gas hose change have created anything like a loss of pressure / draw in the line??

I don't think you understood the previous post. I think he was telling you to pump up the bulb on the fuel Line to the tank. Then disconnect the line that goes from the fuel pump to the carb.

An experienced guy should clarify the next step as it may catch you on fire, but what I then do is turn the motor over and see if fuel shoots out the disconnected hose or not.

Again, see what the experts say first...

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Pump the bulb till hard, disconnect the fuel line going to the carb and run it into a jerry can, start the motor and observe the line to see if fuel comes out or not, it should pulse fuel out of the line with every revolution of the motor.

wazup

Recruit

Thanks again, guys. I'll give it a try tonight...

meyerboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 1960 CD-17, and I found a great way to check the motor's fuel pump.

Get your motor running as you did before, but instead of squeezing the bulb to keep her going, put a step ladder next to the run tank, and place the fuel tank higher than the running motor.

If the motor runs without choking as a result of doing this, you need to rebuild or replace your fuel pump. If however, the motor keeps choking down, your problem is most likely in the hose or the bulb.

It's cheap to do, and has worked twice on separate motors in the past.

(not my idea, I got it from a Suzuki Tech a while back).

kfa4303

Banned

Interesting. Is the idea behind raising the tank that it would have gravity and the fuel pump working together (assuming the pump is working), which would flood the engine, which in turn causes it to "choke" out vs. gravity only if/when the fuel pump is broken, then gravity is needed and suficient to feed fuel to the motor and keep it running?

meyerboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If think you are correct, but I have a theory that also think comes into play here.

When a fuel pump fails, fuel is still able to pass through the pump if gravity is there to help. It has always been my impression that the bulb on the hose is only there to prime the carb, not to deliver fuel when running.

Therefore, with the tank raised above the outboard, gravity takes over and the motor runs. If the motor still chokes though, it is because the line has failed. (more often than not it is air in the line at one of the clamps.)