Small boat / cheap multipurpose tow vehicle.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer
As some of you may remember, I was looking at a replacement tow vehicle about a year ago. We decided to stick with the original Caravan for a while. Now the caravan is at it's end, and I need to find a new vehicle within the next few months. The boat/trailer weighs about 1200 pounds (loaded). I am looking at Tuscon, Sportage, Escape, and SanteFe with Highlander as an extreme outside option. Mileage should be about 130000 or less, cost under 8000, and 2002 or newer. I have a slight preference for not AWD or 4WD as I am concerned that these will inherently have more to go wrong with them and will cost more. Anyone have experience with any of these vehicles as a small boat tow vehicle?

TerryMSU

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Small boat / cheap multipurpose tow vehicle.

Going from a caravan to a shorter wheelbase will tow differently........ I have no fear of the awd/4wd options (kinda mandatory here in my area of VT) but the wheelbase would help in my decision.

Consider tow capacity too....... you know you want a bigger boat :D

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class

I tow my small boat with a 2005 Escape all wheel drive. Works very good
even on the ramps. Pulls the boat right out of the water, were two wheel drive trucks spin. The only thing I don't like is all four wheels don't turn at once.

jfadool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All of those options should be just fine towing a boat of that size. Just make sure you find them with a towing package. For most small SUVs that just adds a transmission cooler, sometimes stiffer shocks, and the tow bar.

Most of those will be easy to find with less than 100k in your price range.

We have put a few thousand miles on an 06 escape towing a small boat. The 2wd at the ramps has never been an issue, but I would also not fear the 4wd. The escape can't match the Bronco that it replaced but it does just fine.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

bought a 2002 Trailblazer LT 2 years ago, 6 cylinder, 4x4, new brakes and tires, 76,000 miles, $7800.

NYBo

Admiral

Since you have some Mopar in your blood with the Caravan, Dodge Durango or Dakota Crew Cab.:)

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

A friend of mine has a Kia Sorento and pulls a 18 foot bayliner... it does really well, even in the hills. You might add that vehicle to your search.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A Dodge Dakota crew cab to pull 1200# is a real waste of fuel funds. These things are gas hogs although you might find them at a reasonable price. The small SUVs for most folks would be more than adequate for that size boat.

89cruisers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can pull 1200 pounds with mostly anything, I pulled a 800 pound homemade trailer with a Miata. Not saying its a smart thing to do, but as long as there is enough weight and wheelbase your set. What are your main vehicles? as you can then make one of those your tow vehicle if its properly fitted

cribber

Lieutenant

Pretty much any 6 cylinder mid sized SUV will tow up to 3500 lbs effortlessly.

TerryMSU

Ok, now I have tied it down somewhat. Wife will be driving this vehicle around town when I am not using it for fishing. I would like AWD or 4WD for winter use here in Michigan for snowstorms. She prefers AWD as it is seamless in terms of driving. So here are a couple of options...

Car 1 is a Hyundai Santa Fe 2002 AWD with 140K miles, 2.7L, towing package. New tranny at 100K, Timing belt OK. Dealer is putting a new catalytic converter in one of the headers. (when I first test drove it, the Cat plugged up as I was driving it.) They want $5900. Vehicle is very clean with one minor issue. This dealer is actually a detailer who carries a few cars on the side. This one concerns me because of the transmission replacement. Why did they need to replace the transmission? Was it due to excessive towing loads? BTW, the transmission now has a cooler on it.

Car 2 is a Hyundai Santa Fe 2003 AWD with 83K miles, 3.5L, no towing pkg. Timing belt replaced at 75K. Vehicle is very clean with a couple of minor issues. This is a consignment vehicle thru a small dealer. Asking $8800, but I will not go that high. Location is west Michigan. Only real issue on this one is the price, and maybe the 3.5L motor. I have heard that it is rather "finicky" and can be a money pit.

Any thoughts? I will be using it for around town and for pulling a small boat trailer (about 1200-1300 pounds loaded). Has anyone used either of these drive trains to pull somewhere near that weight?

TerryMSU

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

What make/model are cars 1 & 2?

TerryMSU

Duh, Sorry (see above) Hyundai Santa Fe

64osby

Admiral

Terry, The higher the miles the more issues with AWD or 4WD. I have had 5 or 6 of them and they all needed some work at one point or another, except a Toyota 4 Runner . Based on that I would go with #2 if those are the only 2 choices. On the motor issue, where there's smoke there's fire. People talk for a reason, look at Intrepids and some Jeeps, motors blow at 100K.

That being said, if your not in huge hurry, I would wait. The end of Jan and Feb are the best times to buy a vehicle. The dealers are usually starving because of Cmas spending. I have bought 3 vehicles in Feb and have paid 25-35% less than the asking price. My $.02.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

A friend of mine has a Kia Sorento and pulls a 18 foot bayliner... it does really well, even in the hills. You might add that vehicle to your search.

a Kia and a Bayliner...why does that sound like a matching set? :D

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just a note - having driven most of those when we looked at our last car - go drive the highlander. It is heads and shoulders above the others listed. Just be forwarned, once you drive it, you may not want to go back. Take it from me, we drove everything under the sun, including all those you listed. Then my wife drove an Acura MDX. You can guess which one we came home with, despite the pricetag being 3x the rest.

Just saying, the highlander was a close second to the Acura. If you are at all considering one, go drive one.

I wouldn't let the towing be a deciding factor - you could tow 1200 lbs with most anything.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I borrowed my girlfriend's Escape for a day, while my S10 was in the shop, to tow my 15 footer--about 1200-1500. It was outfitted with a class 3 hitch (overkill --she uses it to mount a bike rack). It seemed to tow OK on the straight and in hills but tended to oversteer at times in turns. I guess the trailer was "pushing" it.

TerryMSU

Jon (and others):

If I could afford a Highlander, I would be looking at MUCH newer Santa Fe's. I can buy two Santa Fe's for the price of the similar Highlander (miles, years, and equipment). By the way, have you driven a Hyundai lately? They are not the vehicle that all of us older people think of, when we think Korean car. For that matter, neither are the new Kias (which used to be real JUNK).

However, thanks for the input. I had test driven the Highlander, and you are right. It is a very nice vehicle, just not one I can afford right now.

TerryMSU