'71 Johnson 9.9 electric starter . . . possibility?

friartuck

Recruit
The manual start recoil on my '71 Johnson 9.9 keeps breaking. Before I fix it again, does anyone know if the '71 9.9 came with an electric start option? Or if mine can be converted to an electric start? If so, parts suggestions?

AlTn

Commander
Re: '71 Johnson 9.9 electric starter . . . possibility?

the ..shop2.evinrude.com..shows no 9.9 hp. for 1971...do you have a model no.?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

First point: If its a 1971 engine its 9.5 not 9.9. If its a 9.9 is 1974 or later.

perhaps you'd like to tell us the model number.

However no electric starting AFAIK for 9.5s but it was an option on 9.9s

The full kit is no longer available ... It would be prohibitively expensive for an old engine if it was I bet. So you'll have to find a parts motor.

friartuck

Recruit

My apologies, you are right it is a 9.5. OK then the 71 9.5 was not eletric :(. But would it be possible to retro fit parts if I can find the ones you are speaking of?

kbait

Commander

I don't think there's any way to make a 9.5 an electric start. What are you breaking on the manual start? You could try to piece used parts together, or just buy a used recoil (complete) from Tim's outboard 218-682-2331. Make sure you have your model number handy when you call, as I believe there were a couple minor changes in that motor over the production years in the recoil parts. Good luck!

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

The 9.9 and 9.5 are very different so parts from a 9.9 will not help.

Since electric starting was not offered as an option for the 9.5 I doubt if you will find any parts that could be used.

Nothing is impossible though with the right skills, equipment and facilities.

Rick.

Captain

I have used a 18volt cordless drill to start mine once. I guess that is not the retrofit your thinking of though. Best of luck but I think you would be better off to source a motor that already has electric start on it than try to design something for a 9.5. On the other hand, what keeps breaking on your recoil start? Perhaps we could help you figure a fix for that. Rick.