Point setting for OMC

dslagle

Seaman Apprentice
Was wondering if anybody knows what I should set my Points at. (.019? or .022?) Just don't know. I have a 1986 OMC V6 4.3. I just put in the points and it ran a little rough. I stopped running it for fear of damage. So if anybody has any info as to how far I need to set these points would be great. Also will I need to adjust the timming as well? If so maybe I shoudld just take it in. Also My buddy said that I should set the timming out on the water. Differrent load or something. Any help would be cool. Thanks you guys are great, saving the boating population millons each year! Keep up the good work. And Thanks again.

imported_Mike_M2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Point setting for OMC

I have found the easiest way to set points is to throw them away and call Pertronix. It'll be the best 80 bucks you ever spent on yer boat....

CCrew

Chief Petty Officer

Actually with an OMC, Pertronix can be an $80 nightmare, as it whacks with the electronics for the shift interrupter. Better talk to them before making that leap as to whether it'll work with your particular application. <br /><br />-Roger

RC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seaswirl, I have the exact same year and motor you have. Just checked my manual and the point gap is .019 in. If there is any other specs you need let me know.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Apparently there is a way to make the Petronix work with the OMC ESA system, check on www.boatered.com there is a circuit you have to wire up with diodes to make it work. It may even be on the Petronix website. I am sticking with the points since they have worked well in millions of cars over the years, the problem is that younger shade tree mechanics have never worked on point systems like us older guys!<br />I recall having to climb on top of small block Chevies to do the points. We liked the GM distributer since it had the little metal window with the allen adjustment so you could set the points close enough to get it to start and then do the final adjustment with the dwell meter with the engine running.

papdetomaso

Seaman Apprentice

Seaswirl, Once the points are adjusted be sure to check/adjust the timing. Sorry I don't know the timing specs....Pappy

dslagle

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks allot DeltaR. And thanks guys for the other advice. Something really to look into. But for now I think the Points system will suit me fine. Thanks for the Point Spec DeltaR See out there on the Delta. Going to catch my first stergeon this year! I have a Sand/Tan SeaSwirl Sierra Cuddy. See me out there stop buy I'll have a beer waitin for ya. Later thanks agian!

RC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seaswirl, if you need any other info let me know, I've got a complete service manual. Be happy to share any info you need. Been slow for me on the Delta so far this year. Hooked a small sturgeon with my daughter last year, nothing but shaker stripers this winter. For now just waiting for the spring striper run. Got a blue/gray on white Four Winns, usually launch out of Brannan Island or Lauritzen Harbor. Nothing like the Delta!