1973 Starcraft Chieftain restore

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've had this boat now for 4 years... haha.. All wood from the cabin to the transom was rotten. I decided to redesign the cracked old splashwell too.. it took up too much room. I had it "done" once, then decided to change things again!! It had a '69 Johnson 115 O/B on it when I bought it. I did get that old motor running, but it had hydro-electric shifting that I could not get to work right.. sold that for $100 and bought a fresh rebuilt 1984 Johnson 115.
In the spring of 2009 I decided to raise the deck 2" and put in a permanent fuel tank (25gal) and storage for the batteries. I have a 24v outboard mounted trolling motor, so I carry 4 batteries. I got the deck structure done and then in July I almost cut my hand off with a chainsaw. No, I wasn't using the chainsaw on the boat!! :) Well, long-story-short, It's finally cooled off enough here in AZ so that it's safe to play outside again, so it's time to get this thing done... My Dad asked me when I told him what I had bought, "Do you wanna fish, or do you wanna work on boat??" One day I will fish again!!

The night I brought her home!! Must've pulled out 20lbs of dirt!! Rotten deck etc...

Attachments

• 1st night.jpg
    1st night.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 1
  • Stern dirt.jpg
    Stern dirt.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Yuck.jpg
    Yuck.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1973 Starcraft Chieftain restore

Here's some pics of the progress. Most of these are a few years old. I tried to put them in chronological order..

Attachments

• A little paint.jpg
    A little paint.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 0
  • My Beech Tree.jpg
    My Beech Tree.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 0
  • old splashwell.jpg
    old splashwell.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Old transom.jpg
    Old transom.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Old transom2.jpg
    Old transom2.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 0

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some pics of the old transom and splashwell and a few of the new.. I decided to close in the transom as close I could to allow full movement of the motor. The splashwell also now has 2 nice flat surfaces for filleting fish or whatever.. I have cup holders, rod holders and fuel cap there as well. In the last pic, you can see the old where the old splashwell/transom ended..the gray portion.. and see how much I closed the stern in and still have full movement of the motor.

I used 23/32" and 17/32" Arauco plywood for all plywood use. It has no voids and only plugs on one side. Coated everything with System 3 GP epoxy. Used the boat for almost a year before tearing apart to rebuild and it held up great. I was out in a few torrential downpours as well, so it did get soaked. It's about $30 a sheet for 23/32" and $25 for 17/32. Much cheaper than marine grade and will work well if properly sealed.

Attachments

• Transom motor mount.jpg
    Transom motor mount.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 0
  • A little paint.jpg
    A little paint.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Old transom-Splashwell.jpg
    Old transom-Splashwell.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Port side.jpg
    Port side.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 0
  • Transom.jpg
    Transom.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 0

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pics of new splashwell and transom brace... the aluminum had cracks on both sides.. no wonder with that old brittle, crumbly transom!!!

Attachments

• Top view splashwell.jpg
    Top view splashwell.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1
  • New Splashwell.jpg
    New Splashwell.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Splash-well.jpg
    Splash-well.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Transom brace.jpg
    Transom brace.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

The third picture was plan A... storage boxes similar to original, but longer.. after fishing with it a few times.. I decided a nice flat deck would be better. The other pics are pretty recent. The first one is where my batteries will go. The second one is the below-deck 25g fuel tank. Shows decking laid out as well...although I have changed that too now!!

Attachments

• 2010-05-09 23.16.16_1.jpg
    2010-05-09 23.16.16_1.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2010-05-09 23.18.45.jpg
    2010-05-09 23.18.45.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1st bad plan.jpg
    1st bad plan.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 0

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey Tom, thanks for getting us caught up on your project! Man I sure like that Chieftain buddy, just a sweet rig! Looks like you are having fun building stuff, pulling stuff apart and building it again. You'll surely fit right in around here man!

Rock on!:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I like your splashwell modification. What's the plan for the new-found space?

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just storage.. I've decided to make the bottom of that big hunk of maple level again and put 3 hatches across the boat.. The middle of course will be bilge access and the other two will be storage with a small vertical bulkhead on both sides of the splashwell to separate. The deck and wood structure will all be covered in Nautolex Shark. Now that the batteries and fuel are under the deck.. I will have tons of storage both in the cabin and under the splashwell. I'll post pics of the deck structure when I find those pics.. :)

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did very little tonight.. I threw another coat of white paint under the splashwell and painted one fender white just to smile a little.. The trailer is black. What idiot would paint his boat trailer black? It is white underneath, so at one time it was done right anyway. Ever try to load a boat at midnight w/ no moon w/ a black trailer?? Not fun. I apologize to anyone that prefers black trailers. :) So, here's some pics... The first one is a side view of the splashwell. I had to drop the rear portion 'cause the first time I didn't listen to tashasdaddy back in '07, or didn't see his post before I built it!! So, the motor trims all the way up now. That's a good thing. The second one shows the underside of the splashwell and fuel tank/hoses. the deck is laid into place but not fastened down yet.. still some wiring to do.. The third pic shows the helm as it is now.. I am going to alter that configuration too, but not now. The fourth shows the now white fender I mentioned earlier.

Attachments

• DSC02867.jpg
    DSC02867.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02868.jpg
    DSC02868.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02870.jpg
    DSC02870.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02872.JPG
    DSC02872.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 1

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

I love Nautolex!! At least I love looking at "something" that is 100% completed!! This shows how much work space I gained by getting rid of that old splashwell. I'm sure most of you old Starcraft-junkies know what I mean.. There's a cup holder, rod holder and 120v electric outlet for my Dual Pro 3 bank on board charger.. I didn't think about being able to plug iun at a motel or campground if I'm gone over night and it rains.. :( Good thing I live in AZ and it only rains maybe 10 days a year!! I'll probably relocate that under the starboard gunnel sometime.. What do you think of that Nautolex..HUH?? :)

Attachments

• Naut splshwll.JPG
    Naut splshwll.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Nautolex splashwell.JPG
    Nautolex splashwell.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Nautsplsh.jpg
    Nautsplsh.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 0

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

I love it too.. was just looking at Huron Angler's boat in SHARK Nautolex.. looks great and that's what I'm using.. :)

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 6 gang switch panel with breakers? each switch has a reset button.. (wiring/electrical is my weak point!!) Do I also need a fuse panel? I am using the switch panel in conjunction with + and - buss bars and a Blue Sea selector switch... ???

Thanks.....

biederboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hang in there! I ran my 71 21' Chieftain the day I bought it and then not again until 8 years later when I finally finished it (it pretty much sat for about 6 of those years). It's gone now but I really liked that boat.

Biederboat

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's a few pics of the deck structure. I raised it just over 2" and mounted a 25gal fuel tank below deck and have room for 4 batteries. I hate having that crap on deck.
The first pic shows the deck structure, the battery storage area and the front of the fuel tank. The second pic shows the fuel tank. 3rd pic: seat base mount. I used T-nuts underneath to use machine screws instead of screwing it into the deck. 4th pic: Shows how I tied each cross-piece into the rib. Not much work done tonight.. sealed all the deck structure with spar varnish and will finish wiring (hopefully) in the morning. Goal for tomorrow: to have the deck screwed down and get started laying the Nautolex!!

Attachments

• DSC02876.jpg
    DSC02876.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC02877.JPG
    DSC02877.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC02878.JPG
    DSC02878.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC02879.jpg
    DSC02879.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 0

fshngho

Lieutenant

Nice work Tomy. Do you put any floatation in the voids? You won't require a fuse panel with your set up but it never hurts to be safe. If you were to run off a fuse panel you could use higher amp fuses. That would just trip the breaker first in case of a short and have fuses as backup. Switches like yours are good but I prefer all my wiring fuses to be centralized in one area. That leaves one main hot wire, one main ground, fuses/breakers and one area to look if need be rather than tracing wires all over the boat.

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's what I'm trying to do, Dale.... keep all the switches, breakers, buss bars etc under the helm. Did I say something that would lead you to believe otherwise?? I'm asking because I am ignorant...lol.. wiring/electric is my least favorite thing to do, whether on a house, car, boat etc... makes me nervous!! :) I'm wiring it all up now. Took the day off to get the deck and all below deck wood coated w/ spar varnish.. that's done and dry. Now to wire this thing up and screw the deck down FOREVER... I HOPE AND PRAY!!! :) oh.. so it wouldn't hurt to a fuse box huh? I can add that "after" the switch panel/breaker right?

Thanks man!!

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's a pic of the full deck structure... I think it's SOLID enough, huh?? lol... I wonder how slow this tank will be when it's done? I used to cruise at 40mph...we'll see!

Attachments

• DSC02882.jpg
    DSC02882.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 0

fshngho

Lieutenant

That's what I'm trying to do, Dale.... keep all the switches, breakers, buss bars etc under the helm. Did I say something that would lead you to believe otherwise?? I'm asking because I am ignorant...lol.. wiring/electric is my least favorite thing to do, whether on a house, car, boat etc... makes me nervous!! :) I'm wiring it all up now. Took the day off to get the deck and all below deck wood coated w/ spar varnish.. that's done and dry. Now to wire this thing up and screw the deck down FOREVER... I HOPE AND PRAY!!! :) oh.. so it wouldn't hurt to a fuse box huh? I can add that "after" the switch panel/breaker right?

Thanks man!!

No you didn't lead me to believe you would, but I have seen many others do it. They would literally go all over the boat checking all the inline fuses, grounds, connections for a short. And on the subject, are you running copper wire or tin?

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

(embarrassed).... copper 8 gauge from batteries to buss/battery switch.. Everything else is 16 gauge tin.. ancor brand. Yes, I want everything centralized under the helm.. I think in-line fuses make no sense whatsoever.. Off to Worst (West) Marine!! Dang.. now I feel guilty for not spending the $$ on tin 8 gauge... :( I am using shrink tube and liquid tape on all connections....