need quick response on registering boat

superman111

Cadet
I have been meaning to transfer the registration on my new boat for awhile but have lost my bill of sale and previous owners registration, i have got him to make me out another bill of sale but do i have to have his old registration certificate? or can i just give the probate officer all of the info on the boat and get by with just a bill of sale? if not what do i need to do. I live in alabama Please help

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: need quick response on registering boat

I know that in FL, possession of the registration means nothing when transfering the title. You need the signed title and a bill of sale.

Not sure if Al is the same or not. Call the DMV to get the full scoop.

superman111

Cadet

alright i will try that in the morning, it was jsut bothering me tonight, thanks

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have been meaning to transfer the registration on my new boat for awhile but have lost my bill of sale and previous owners registration, i have got him to make me out another bill of sale but do i have to have his old registration certificate? or can i just give the probate officer all of the info on the boat and get by with just a bill of sale? if not what do i need to do. I live in alabama Please help

Dragging your feet is going to cost you a lot of trouble. You're going to regret doing so. In any case, here's the Alabama DMV's site where they discuss titling and registering boats:

http://www.dmv.org/al-alabama/boat-registration.php

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

you may have to get the original owner to apply for a duplicate registration first, since it's still in his name. Send him everything he needs, filled out, with stamped envelopes to the "DMV" and stamped evelopes to you for when he gets it back.

IN a small town you might be able to sweet talk the clerk into helping you out with what you have.

Good luck

superman111

Cadet

I have talked to him and he is sending off for the new registration today, thanks for all the responses