Pros/Cons of removing Branding

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class
After a lot of cleaning work I have my boat in the garage for the winter. One of my projects is to totally clean, buff and wax the exterior. I am thinking that I want to remove some/all of the branding. By this I mean the model name/number and perhaps some of the manufactures name labels.

To a certain extent I have already started the process. Last year I replaced all the grab handles (because they were stained and cracking) with generic ones. The original had Four Winns molded in them and the replacements did not.

The idea is get rid the Freedom 170 and Four Winns labels from the side of the boat and then get some custom graphics to go instead.

The one thing I am concerned about is removing them and seeing how much color change has happened to the hull.

Any thoughts on the Pros/Cons of doing this?

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Pros/Cons of removing Branding

I am not aware of the relative value of your boat. But my question would be, does it reduce the value of your boat, at resale, in a significant way.

In other words, is your boat of value for what it is, or for who it is?

There are people who take great pride in renovating boats back to their original condition. Is yours a candidate for that?

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I did this on my last boat a 92 Crownline 196 BR, in fact I removed all of the vinyl graphics too, after doing so I found that the fading behind the graphics was more then I could buff out with my skill level so I took it to a professional who while doing an amazing job it was still more then could be fixed. What I wound up doing was to put another vinyl graphics kit to cover the fading in the old graphics which worked great but the specific Crownline branding I simply could not overcome and just lived with it, it wasn't bad and most never noticed it but I did.

a70eliminator

Captain

I removed the 90 style Chaparral graphic logos that were rubbed pretty bad, rather than try to buff around them, wish I wouldn't have because I've not been able to locate replacements, with todays tech. it wouldn't be too hard to have a stencil made, or even hand paint it yourself.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I looked at a couple of boats that had the factory graphics removed and rather than stop and look closer I kept driving because I assumed the boat had been damaged and repainted. I'm just sayin. ..

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those are all good comments/suggestions. I never thought about removal of the branding might cause people to think the boat had damage and major repairs.

The two concerns I have are:

1. The boat is 6.5 years old and spent a lot of time in the sun. I am worried about the hull fade and difference in color once the decals are removed. I already had to buff like crazy when I removed the original owners registration numbers and replaced them with mine.

2. Resale. While I have no immediate plans to sell the boat this is always a factor. Just because I don't care if the branding is removed the next person might.

I think for now I am going to leave the decals on. Some of the branding is already gone (on the grab handles) and I plan on replacing the steering wheel so it won't have branding anymore. I did however save the old parts so in case I sell I can toss them in.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd agree with spdracr - I've passed on lots of toys (snowmobiles, 4 wheelers, bikes, and boats) because they didn't have original decals. I always figured if they were missing, there was a reason they were missing. I realize some people just don't like the looks of them, but more often, I've found the reason to be otherwise. Just my opinion, and since I won't be buying a boat any time soon - it's pretty much worth what you paid for it! Good luck and have fun with the restore work.

Chiliando

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You will never get the hull buffed/polished enough so that you cannot see the residual marks of the graphics/name plates.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

I don't know how damaged your gel is. Maybe try on spot and take just one decal off.

As for needing them? Who cares? It's your boat. There's no need to keep them if you don't want them.

I just removed stupid 4x4 decals and a pin strip off our 04' Chevy and after a slight buff you can't tell they were ever there. Did I devalue the truck? No! it looks so much better now everyone that sees it comments on how pretty it is (which they never did with all the dumb stuff on there) it's resale only went up.

Now if I could find out if I can lose the door trim without hurting the paint I'll be too happy. (There is a guy in town with the same truck without them I'm gonna catch him one time at Home depot and ask)

The truck is a factory package 2500HD came with step, bug defector(took that junk off too) and bed cover/lid. I see them everywhere. The stickers just look awful.

Lots of graphics date what they are on and take from the appearance and value. If I saw two comparable items and one was covered with decals and the other looked clean and well pretty, I'd go with the later.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

ziggy

Admiral

you guys have it tough.

to bad it ain't like the old days. minimal graphics.

i got none on my '75. just an emblem at the stern that says my boat mfg. and one 2.5'' decal that says the model + mfg's name on the hardtop in a recess made for the decal. plain and simple, yet to the point.

i'd think that removing any of my logos would be detrimental to it's appearance and possibly some to it's value in my case..

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I like the looks without it. My mustang doesn't have a Ford or a Mustang badge on it anywhere. My boat says Elegante and that will most likely be removed soon! I like and prefer the badgeless look!

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

i also prefer as little badges and stickers as possible on both boats and cars.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I like the looks without it. My mustang doesn't have a Ford or a Mustang badge on it anywhere. My boat says Elegante and that will most likely be removed soon! I like and prefer the badgeless look!

Blue2Green

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I plan to remove my emblems, paint the model number on and apply a tribal graffix on the side. But since my boat is an 89 Four Winns Freedom 190 I shouldnt have to worry about value.

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

Sort of related: I removed all the Badge's from my 2000 ZR2 Blazer, I really did not find any dis-colorization under any of them.