transducer

bwmc79

Seaman
I will be in the process of installing new transducer for fishfinder on aluminum boat. What is the best marine sealant for sealing the screw holes on the new transducer mounting and sealing the existing holes from the old mounting location?

barbosam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: transducer

3M 4200, Boat Life, or Sikaflex are all excellent sealants for that job.

dude11

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know about others--but,after replacing deck and transom--hardest thing for me was drilling holes in same.Sooooo-I took a cutting board which is bout 1/2"thick and cut me a small "platform" and using PL attached it to the outside of transom where transducer was to be mounted.Then I drilled the holes in it and using short screws mounted that boy!! It may blow off in time--we'll see.Pl is some tuff stuff though.dude11

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hot glued worked for me on chunk of nylon. Once in five years it got wacked and popped off. New hot glue and it fastened back on.

barbosam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would stick to one of the tried and true adhesive sealants I mentioned above. You need to protest that transom from water intrusion, this is not a place for short cuts or money saving. You can get a small tube of any of those adhesives for less thn $15. If you do put a block over the existing holes as others have mentioned just make sure the material is compatible with the adhesive. Some plastics do not accept adhesives well.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you have holes use them with the sealent suggested. My point was, No holes were made. Used the hot glue to fasten the block and then screwed into the block.

barbosam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry I read that wrong, I guess theres not much harm in the appraoch.